Car Insurance Renwal, My Policy - She crashed.

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Remember her accident when renewing her policy on her car.

Why? She hasn't had any claims. :)

Unless the question asks about accidents/incidents, if it only asks about claims then she can truthfully answer No - her husband had a claim. The fact she was driving at the time seems irrelevant.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DoaM wrote: »

Unless the question asks about accidents/incidents, if it only asks about claims then she can truthfully answer No - her husband had a claim. The fact she was driving at the time seems irrelevant.

The question asks whether you have been involved in an incident, not whether you made a claim on your own policy. I have an incident on mine from 3 years ago where no claim was made just a notification - still asks if you have had an incident
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Why are you agonising over this? Your insurer already knows about the answers!

3. Yes, you can drop your wife from the policy. Before you do, it's worth checking to see if it would make any difference in premium.

Indeed, my other half had an incident where someone drove into her, they were at fault, full recovery of costs, still put my premium up as she's on my policy, would be more expensive to remove her regardless
  • Vini123
    Vini123 Posts: 116 Forumite

I guess this is the top and bottom of it. Some providers word it differently, and whilst I know I will face an increased premium. Certain suppliers word it in such a way, that I could answer honestly, and not be lying.

In the example provided above, Direct Line say have YOU been involved in an accident or claim in the last 3 years?. Yes, I have been involved in a claim.

Aviva, says, have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years? No, I have NOT been involved in an accident in the last 5 years.

I don't want to risk voiding my insurance, so I think for peace of mind, I will renew over the phone this year. Whether I stay with my current provider or not.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

The fact that she was driving at the time IS VERY relevant.

You're generally asked "any accidents, claims or convictions" - you cant honestly side step that by thinking "oh, well it wasnt in my car".
  • motorguy
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    You could always phone your insurer/s for clarification.

Clarification on what??

"Has this driver had any claims in the last 5 years, and who was at fault?"

YES, the drive has had a claim in the last five years, and his wife who was driving the car at the time was at fault.

This doesnt seem terribly difficult to me?
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Clarification on what??

On what OP needs to tell his insurer?

The answer seems obvious to me too, but since OP seems to be struggling with it I thought that clear, factual direction from the person requesting the information might clarify the situation for him.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't understand why this is so messy, the way I always read that Q is about the driver themselves. Not the policy or vehicle. So OP should be able to drop wife from his own policy, have nothing to declare and benefit from the low(ish) premium at renewal.

The wife declares on her policy, that she has had an accident/claim. She will unfortunately see an increase in premium. Albeit I'm sure it also comes partly from your wallet as well OP anyway.
  • motorguy
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    On what OP needs to tell his insurer?

The answer seems obvious to me too, but since OP seems to be struggling with it I thought that clear, factual direction from the person requesting the information might clarify the situation for him.

My point was - like you i dont see how the O/P needs any clarification. He claimed of his insurance. Simples.

Ringing the insurance company will only tell them what we've already said.
  • motorguy
    edited 16 March 2017 at 11:05PM
    Sparx wrote: »
    Don't understand why this is so messy, the way I always read that Q is about the driver themselves. Not the policy or vehicle. So OP should be able to drop wife from his own policy, have nothing to declare and benefit from the low(ish) premium at renewal.

The wife declares on her policy, that she has had an accident/claim. She will unfortunately see an increase in premium. Albeit I'm sure it also comes partly from your wallet as well OP anyway.

He has to declare that he claimed off his insurance. Which he did.

Even with the wife off his policy how do you answer the question "Has this driver had any claims in the last 5 years... " with anything other than "Yes"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure