I need a mathematician!

Options
I'm trying to work out an answer to a friend's hypothetical question re a loan.

She has a loan for £4000 taken out 1st March for 60 months. Interest is 16.9%

She has a lump sum of £1200 in cash.

She isn't going to pay it towards the loan (even if that is the best option).

She wants to turn that £1200 into something profitable but the return would have to be greater than the interest paid on the loan.

I can't work it out. At first I thought it was as simple as the £1200 had to make more than the £650 interest she will pay on her loan in the first year but then I realised no because if she paid the £1200 off the loan she'd also save a big pile of interest. So does her £1200 need to make more than the £650 + interest saved?

If that came to £2000 (as an example) then if she made £2500 from £1200 she'd be in the positive.

Does this make sense? Going round and round and round with it.

NB - I'm not giving her financial advice, worst person to do it. I just can't work out the answer.
Money money money.

Debt
Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is no reliable way to earn money on money above interest rates. If there was - then why would banks not do that themselves, rather than handing out loans?
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    There's plenty of ways to make more than the interest costs of that loan.

Sadly there's many ways to lose it too. Unless if your friend has a clear plan on how to make that money, be it buying/selling stuff, the bookies (lol) or going into some serious Forex/Stock market trading (Good luck with the Article 50 button about to be pressed) I'd be paying the loan off at that interest rate.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Simple - if she can find something which pays a return of more than 16.9% then she'll make money. This is how banks operate: they borrow from savers at (say) 1% and lend to borrowers at (say) 5%. The difference between the two rates is their profit, and (in a nutshell) is how the entire banking system works.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As said it's pretty simple - her ROI MUST exceed the apr she's paying for her loan for the amount she is choosing NOT to off set to bring her a profit. Given most savings accounts are at what? 3%? Then short of gambling (NOT CONDONED!) then I can't see how she anticipates getting this to work in her favour.
    For reference in year one she would need to make £202.8 profit from her £1200 to break even.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    As said it's pretty simple - her ROI MUST exceed the apr she's paying for her loan for the amount she is choosing NOT to off set to bring her a profit. Given most savings accounts are at what? 3%? Then short of gambling (NOT CONDONED!) then I can't see how she anticipates getting this to work in her favour.
    For reference in year one she would need to make £202.8 profit from her £1200 to break even.

Also, if the money is used for trading say on ebay etc, the opportunity costs must be factored in.

If she takes 100 hours of labour to make the money, then you have to value that time when making the calculations. After all, that 100 hours will be replacing something. Would it have been time that could've been spent making money in different ways, was it leisure time etc? It isn't as simple as Costs of £1200 and income of £2400 = £1200 profit, not for this sort of thing anyway.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure