Options
2»

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    henry24 wrote: »
    People saying about fuel consumption when using air con what about this one, my in-laws live in Spain and years ago someone told them about air con and fuel so they never use it you ride round in there car covered in sweat it's like sitting in a oven. It can be 40c outside but your glad to get out of the car because it's cooler outside than in.

Generally, I don't use the air con when in the Med or Australia. I find that it stops you getting acclimatised to the ambient temperature. After a couple of days, the sweating stops and you don't really notice the heat.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Generally, I don't use the air con when in the Med or Australia. I find that it stops you getting acclimatised to the ambient temperature. After a couple of days, the sweating stops and you don't really notice the heat.

The problem I find is not having the AC on, but the fact that nobody knows how to use it properly.

When I spent time in Australia with friends, they had the AC on "lo", which is basically shoving out freezing cold air constantly, rather than setting it to a reasonable temperature. You get out of the car into 40C heat and it's like walkng into a wall. The thing is, just like with heating, people think changing the thermostat to extremes will make things heat/cool faster.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The other factor to consider is that, in the UK, aircon is actually at its most useful in winter weather. It dries the air, as well as cools it - the dried, cooled air is then passed over the heater matrix, so you can have warm, dry air. That's, very simply, the fastest way possible to demist windows and keep them clear.

Mind you, given the number of people you see driving around in what looks to be a mobile sauna with a tiny porthole wiped in the condensation, people don't seem to understand that airflow is necessary, either...
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    The problem I find is not having the AC on, but the fact that nobody knows how to use it properly.

When I spent time in Australia with friends, they had the AC on "lo", which is basically shoving out freezing cold air constantly, rather than setting it to a reasonable temperature. You get out of the car into 40C heat and it's like walkng into a wall. The thing is, just like with heating, people think changing the thermostat to extremes will make things heat/cool faster.

Yes, that's right if you turn the boiler thermostat up to an extreme it definitely heats up a lot quicker.

It's all explained here by Jez from Peep Show :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqcuzUleNQ
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    If its a vw golf/ Audi/ Skoda it may well be the pump failed the clutch fails on the pump common fault and they aint cheap your looking at £1000
  • MiniMum
    MiniMum Posts: 24 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone. We have used it during the winter but obviously not on a cold setting. Assume we must have a leak. Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure