Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 10th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 254Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Money Moral Dilemma: How should we split the bills in our house?
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    Money Moral Dilemma: How should we split the bills in our house? 10th Mar 17 at 10:59 AM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I bought a house with my sister and her husband - they own 50% between them and I own the other half. What's the fairest way to split the bills?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 14th Mar 17, 11:17 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    flyingflea
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:17 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:17 PM
    Um, how about splitting the bills three ways? Doesn't matter who owns what, you all should contribute the same unless one of you uses disproportionately more than anyone else.
    • bagby
    • By bagby 15th Mar 17, 1:09 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    bagby
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:09 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:09 AM
    General utility bills go three ways. Any repairs etc to actual house and house insurance bills split between two.
    • Donlou89
    • By Donlou89 15th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Donlou89
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    3 ways as utility bills would be higher than if it was just 2 sharing so everyone should pay their fair share
    • alittlemadam
    • By alittlemadam 15th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    alittlemadam
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    As others have said previously split the bills 3 ways.

When me and my husband bought our house we decided on splitting the mortgage, bills and other bits and bobs 50-50 and carried it on for holidays and food, its just makes it so much easier
    • TeamPlum
    • By TeamPlum 15th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    TeamPlum
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    When me and my husband bought our house we decided on splitting the mortgage, bills and other bits and bobs 50-50 and carried it on for holidays and food, its just makes it so much easier

Personally find it easier to not bother splitting bills when you're married.

I'll share my life with you, but not my money.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 15th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    No, of course not.

*reads the question*

Wow, the Money Moral Dilemma is actually a sensible question this week.

Split it three ways. Technically as you own 50% but only get to live in 33%, they benefit disproportionately to their share. However, if you split the maintenance and upkeep bills equally, you benefit disproportionately. Swings and roundabouts, and it's not worth causing a scene over.

And I hope for God's sake that all of you are saving up so that you can buy the other half out when one or two of you moves out for whatever reason.
    • cheekyoldcow
    • By cheekyoldcow 15th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    cheekyoldcow
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:00 AM

I'll share my life with you, but not my money.
    Originally posted by TeamPlum
    IKR??? Never understood this way of thinking.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 17,350 Posts
    • 44,191 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    Originally posted by TeamPlum
    But it's not just a married couple in this 'dilemma':
    I bought a house with my sister and her husband - they own 50% between them and I own the other half. What's the fairest way to split the bills?
    Originally posted by MSE Nick
    • clint_S
    • By clint_S 15th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    clint_S
    Not enough info to answer this. Are you all living in the house? Is this an investment property? What bills?
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 15th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 5,776 Posts
    • 7,547 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Bills split 3 ways - i.e. they pay 2/3 between them, you pay 1/3.
    Mortgage and Buildings Insurance 50/50 reflecting your respecitve insterests in the house.

And if you don't already have one, get advice with a view to having a formal deed drawnup clearly setting out who owns what, who pays what, and what happens when one of you wants to sell or leave.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 17,350 Posts
    • 44,191 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Not enough info to answer this. Are you all living in the house? Is this an investment property? What bills?
    Originally posted by clint_S
    It's a 'money moral dilemma' posted by MSE staff, not a real person asking for advice.

You won't get any more information than has been given, unless someone finds the original thread that kicked off this MMD and posts a link to it.
    • TeamPlum
    • By TeamPlum 15th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    TeamPlum
    Pollycat - I wasn't responding to the OP
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 15th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Assuming that 'bills' means fuel, landline, water/sewage, Council tax, any paid-for shared-use TV, broadband, not to mention household insurance, I believe these should be paid from a separate account into which you contribute on a one third/two thirds ratio.

You should also probably have a third of the fridge, unless there is space for a small one just for you.

This will also have to apply to saving for the inevitable annual surprise problem (washing-machine on the blink, side gate blows off, boiler breakdown - you know the sort of thing).

The more structured the solution, the less likely there are to be arguments.
    • chocaholicmanc
    • By chocaholicmanc 15th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    chocaholicmanc
    Bills split 3 ways - i.e. they pay 2/3 between them, you pay 1/3.
    Mortgage and Buildings Insurance 50/50 reflecting your respecitve insterests in the house.

And if you don't already have one, get advice with a view to having a formal deed drawnup clearly setting out who owns what, who pays what, and what happens when one of you wants to sell or leave.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss

Exactly this. I assume everyone buys their own food, etc though. Perhaps general kitty for household cleaning?
    • MartinWickham
    • By MartinWickham 15th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    MartinWickham
    You have mixed liabilities. The property is owned 25:25:50 so all property maintenance costs and liabilities should also be split 25:25:50, just as was the cost of the initial purchase, and will be the proceeds of sale at termination. This includes building insurance, house improvements and repairs, and probably decoration.

Your 'living costs' liabilities are likely to mediate somewhere close to 33:33:33, depending on each individual's desire to consume. These might include cleaning materials, utility bills, council tax, contents insurance.

'Personal' bills are down to each individual, perhaps TV licence, petrol, food, newspaper deliveries.

It's the perfect job for a spreadsheet.
    • maddigunn
    • By maddigunn 16th Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    maddigunn
    Cheekyoldcow - just wondering but what does IKR stand for?
    Team Plum - I agree, can't see the point of being married if you're not prepared to share your income and your outgoings - maybe this a generational thing but as soon as we got married 43 years ago everything just became 'ours'.
    • Withakay
    • By Withakay 16th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Withakay
    Maybe it is a generational thing but my wife and I have our own separate money but both put in a set amount each month to our joint account for food and bills. When we both want to spend our incomes on different things that cost different amounts, we just don't see it as fair to share all the money. I'm notoriously shrewd and she's quite frivolous so we'd only end up arguing anyway - and we wouldn't have any money at all to repair our boiler next week because she'd have spent it all on makeup, theatre tickets and presents for babies of people who she works with!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 29,451 Posts
    • 17,605 Thanks
    getmore4less
    If this bills thing has not been thought through before buying probably means the actual purchase was not though through properly either and there is not proper trust deed in place with sensible exit conditions and how to manage things like overpayments on the debts and a can't pay won't pay scenario.
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 16th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Senseicads
    Cheekyoldcow - just wondering but what does IKR stand for?
    Originally posted by maddigunn
    Stands for I know right
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,295Users online

Martin's Twitter