PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FIRST TIME BUYERS - What did you save?

Options

Comments

• ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    It was a gift then, not a loan. Totally different thing in the eyes of a lender and not what you lead us to believe.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. A gift is non repayable and is declared as such to the lender. A loan is repayable and is also declared as such to the lender.
  • kilby_007
    Options
    ashp wrote: »
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. A gift is non repayable and is declared as such to the lender. A loan is repayable and is also declared as such to the lender.

I do know, but you're being sufficiently evasive about your "loan" [*ahem* cash from mum and dad *ahem*] to make it sound as though you've got onto the property ladder without needing any savings or help. As you say, your finances might not be my business but if you're going to tell people about how canny you've been in obtaining access to a mortgage then don't embellish the truth.
  • sparky130a
    Options
    Stop. It's not a !!!!ing contest.

I'm one of the privileged few who didn't have to work their !!!! off for a deposit. And neither did my brother or sister.

The parents helped all 3 of us. Which is even more amazing in my case as I'm adopted. Some stranger turned up and not only brought me up and paid for it.

They also gave me over £30K to get me started on the "housing ladder ".

My point is it;s either a gift or a loan. From a lenders point of view there is no ambiguity.
  • ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2017 at 7:32AM
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    I do know, but you're being sufficiently evasive about your "loan" [*ahem* cash from mum and dad *ahem*] to make it sound as though you've got onto the property ladder without needing any savings or help. As you say, your finances might not be my business but if you're going to tell people about how canny you've been in obtaining access to a mortgage then don't embellish the truth.

I'm not being evasive in the slightest. I got the loan from my employer.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we saved 20% deposit but only put 10% down. We used the other 10% for things like rewiring, new boiler, carpets, paint, furniture etc.
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had £22,000 for our first home.. 95% LTV for a £260k house. This included all fees, first mortgage payment (monthly in advance), white goods, most things for the house apart from a sofa as we already had a sofa (Ikea is amazing!!!!). I borrowed £7,000 from my step-dad which I am paying off monthly and also have an emergency fund of £1,500.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • ST1991
    ST1991 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We bought for £175k and saved a 5% deposit. Fees and stamp duty were another £2.5k roughly and we had 2k left over.
    We moved from renting, so the monthly rent/mortgage payment is roughly the same - and we have continued to save each month after moving in, allowing us to do bits and bobs in the house as and when (living room floor one month... new mattress the next)

We also had all the furniture already (except a wardrobe, but a £40 one from ikea fixed that) and white goods were pretty much free/pennies from gumtree which we can then replace with new over the coming months.

I would say to save more than you think you need, as something might pop up along the way. Our purchase took 8-9 months to go through so our solicitor fees went up.

I wish we had saved more now... so we could tackle the kitchen and bathroom...!
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was a first time buyer in 2010.

I paid £156,000 for my flat and put down £47,000 as a deposit.

Took me 5 years working 2 jobs to save up the money
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First Time Buyer in 2011

House was £120k, had original saved £12k plus £1k for fees.

Sale was delayed, and was saving £1k a month, so finished up with £18k (15% deposit), £1k for fees and £1k (max) for other costs.

All I spent was £250 on a new bed, everything else came much later, and was bought as and when I could afford it.

My car was worth about £6k and that was my emergency fund - if needed I would sell the car.
  • NinaSwiss
    NinaSwiss Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Saved about 85k over 7yrs towards house purchase.
    • 75k towards deposit (25%)
    • 5k towards stamp duty
    • 5k towards survey, solicitor, moving, clearing out house and buying few essentials etc and a month's emergency fund.

Barely had any furniture to move to the new house. The first month was mostly spent clearing the house, LOTs of cleaning, getting work done to the chimney breast supports, making plans and budgeting on what else I needed to buy and when. My sister(my little helper) and I slept on the floor(with mattress) and lived on takeout’s.

Borrowed 6k from mum and 4k from credit card to cover works being done. Lucky to have good disposable income so was able to repay these within the first year once emergency fund was enough for 3 months (5k).

Spent money on (alot of these were unforeseen):
    • Two chimney breasts were removed by previous vendor and left with no support under chimney stack. My main priority was to get this fixed even though vendor lived with it for about 10yrs
    • Rip-out all flooring (except in kitchen and bathroom), fit new flooring throughout house.
    • Rip out wallpaper and repaint the whole house (inside and outside)
    • Re-plaster bedrooms walls and board textured ceiling
    • Boiler serviced and gas safety certificate done
    • Power-flush boiler system and fit larger capacity radiators in hallway and Kitchen
    • Electrics tested, new fuse box fitted,fix botched diy jobbies.
    • Replace downstairs toilet – valve failed and wc flooded so replaced the old toilet as well
    • Fridge/freezer, Dishwasher, washing machine, sofa, Beds, chairs, dining table etc
    • Re-felt shed, replaced fence, clean gutters

Alot of the work weren't essential but chose to do them sooner rather than later as I had planned to take on a lodger.

It's been about 1 year and half since and love it here. Gathered a lot of diy skills in the process but glad not to have taken on renovation projects that required gutting.
    Currently make monthly overpayments to get it down to 50% LTV by the time the 4yr fix is up (or Jan 2020 latest).
    The other thing I did was to get income protection insurance (not critical illness ). This provides me with enough income to cover mortgage and bills if I'm unable to work(due to illness). I can always get more lodgers in the case of a redundancy whilst I find new work so sickness cover was a higher priority for me.
    Working towards:
    [STRIKE]*House Purchase (2015)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] *Top-up pension (2016)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] *Clear CC (2016) [/STRIKE]
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)[STRIKE]*Save for a Car (2017)![/STRIKE]
    *Making the most of life!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport