PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants to put the rent up

Options

Comments

• sparky130a
    Options
    MyOnlyPost wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess the landlord is trying to increase the rent to mitigate costs arising from recent government legislation, none of which would have been on the statute books when your agreement was signed (not your problem of course). I think in the circumstances you are entitled to fight for the agreement you have and try to enforce it as best you can. The landlord however is able to serve notice to end your tenancy without breaching that agreement

Very few (if any) landlords would offer a 5 year AST and the tenant would be tying themselves to paying 5 years rent even if they chose/had to move.

Let's be honest, the whole concept is bonkers from the point of view of both parties.

The LL is remiss if they ignore the fact they can't control the RPI and therefore suffer massive potential losses.

The tenant because the local rental market could change and as you point out they are committed for 5 years.

In rental that's bat cr^p crazy.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the end, it all comes down to what you get for your money. It would be logical that if you thought you could get a nicer property for the rent he is asking to increase, I expect it would be you giving him notice. If however you are getting a good deal because say you get a 3 bed property where otherwise for the same rent, you would only get a 2 bed and you really need that 3rd bed, then I expect you have to accept that it comes at the cost of lack of refurbishment.
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    You are not being unfairly treated. This is a business negotiation.

As a landlord I would start by sacking this agent.

i call this exploitation. not business.
  • leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    It is a business. Labelling it exploitation is your opinion on that particular business.
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    You are caught between a rock and a hard place. Remember the agent works for the landlord and not you, as per the post by "miss Samantha", who i'm sure is a very happy and content person who sounds like someone who uses the term "portfolio" on a regular basis........*

I would take advice from an organisation like shelter or similar. If the landlord lives abroad then it is quite possible he/she is riding on the back of the baby boomers so needs the income from you to live elsewhere, If their costs have gone up, that affects their living so in turn they put it back on to you......

*making lots of sweeping statements makes for entertaining reading.
  • Miss_Samantha
    Options
    rjwr wrote: »
    i call this exploitation. not business.

A small rent increase after 3 years is nothing like exploitation...

You would probably be unhappy to receive a comparable salary increase. Are you exploiting your employer?
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    leespot wrote: »
    It is a business. Labelling it exploitation is your opinion on that particular business.

I agree its my opinion, but equally its you're opinion that it is a business, something I strongly disagree with.

Again, my opinion, labeling renting a house out as a business is just another way that those who wish to do this can provide some form of self justification for their actions.

The real good news is, in the one house I have mortgaged, I go to sleep at night happy that i'm not contributing to this country's housing problem, :T
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    A small rent increase after 3 years is nothing like exploitation...

You would probably be unhappy to receive a comparable salary increase. Are you exploiting your employer?

My employer is in a position of power, as would be the landlord. So your question should be, "you would be unhappy to receive a comparable salary decrease."

Yes would be the answer to that question,

The tenant has no control over the rent, well actually they can move, so lets get this straight, pay up or move out. Exploitation.

It depends on someones meaning of "small increase."

OP - move out and let the landlord find another tenant. You come across like a nice person and a good tenant. Lets hope your landlord enjoys the "small increase", oh yea, someone needs to pay the rent for that happen.
    Easily forgotten how good reliable tenants are hard to find...................
  • alfred64
    alfred64 Posts: 4,991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    annab275 wrote: »
    'Please find enclosed a Section 13 Notice in respect of the above property with a rent increase proposal to £695.00 per calendar month to commence 7th March 2014. The landlord is willing to guarantee a 5 year freeze at £695.00 from the above date'.

So what exactly is this guarantee worth?

I could not go back on my word, let alone if I gave a guarantee.
    That is me, however.
  • annab275
    Options
    I get that we are living in a supply and demand world and a few years ago we had our own home, an affordable mortgage but my partner was made redundant and I had to give up work to look after my sick daughter, who later passed away. We sold the house and paid off debts and found ourselves in the rental market. I shall be collecting my pension in a few weeks, but shall carry on working for myself as I do not wish to be supported by the state. I may be just another statistic in the dire housing crisis that this country faces, but the truth is some bad luck along the way can force destitution and homelessness. My dad used to be a landlord - bought property, rented it out and he had plenty of problem tenants, who sublet, trashed houses etc. I feel there needs to be more give and take. I have no objection to rent rises in line with inflation but these market forces can be very cruel, and it may be a business to landlords but in the same way energy and utility companies work, you have to have a roof over your head and the ability to keep warm.
    must say NO to impulse buys!
    GC March Challenge £182/200
    GC April Challenge £232/£175
    GC May Challenge £170/£175
    GC June Challenge £175
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts