Which browser for Vista?

Options
2»

Comments

• shown73
    shown73 Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rubidium, if i do as you suggest would my operating system be upgraded from Vista to Win7 ? Seems suspiciously simple. I was just about resigned to binning my pc, although it is otherwise adequate for my needs.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

have a look in control panel at 'Windows Anytime Upgrade', download 'Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor'.

You can still upgrade to Win 7 free using product key.
  • austonic
    austonic Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Probably best to go to Windows 10, which is free if you go the assitive technology route.

Alternatively, if computer is used for basic web, email, document (word processing, spreadsheet) use them switch to a Windows like Linux distribution such as Mint. It will be faster, support the latest browsers (other than Microsoft's), and be less vulnerable.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but ignorance is lethal.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    shown73 wrote: »
    Rubidium, if i do as you suggest would my operating system be upgraded from Vista to Win7 ? Seems suspiciously simple. I was just about resigned to binning my pc, although it is otherwise adequate for my needs.

It would be better if you saved anything that you require and did a clean install of WIN 7. You should already have a backup of anything that is important to you, so it really is that simple. I recently did this for someone and their PC is now running much better than it ever has. WIN 7 is one of the best M$ OS's and I personally much prefer it to WIN 10.
  • bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Options
    +1 for slimjet. It is fast, reliable and has a built in ad blocker.

The only issue is that on instalation the adblocker was disabled by default, so just go into settings and enable it.

The question is for basic computer use, why not put on linux mint, it does most things for most people.
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

have a look in control panel at 'Windows Anytime Upgrade', download 'Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor'.

You can still upgrade to Win 7 free using product key.

How do I get Win 7 free and where do I get the product key. It isn't giving me that info on the upgrade adviser. it says click here about win 7 and takes you to microsoft on a page about win 10. Then I can't seem to find anything about getting a free win 7.
    I ran upgrade advisor on grandc and it says its ok to get 32 bit home premium windows 7
    Thanks.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    How do I get Win 7 free and where do I get the product key. It isn't giving me that info on the upgrade adviser. it says click here about win 7 and takes you to microsoft on a page about win 10. Then I can't seem to find anything about getting a free win 7.
    I ran upgrade advisor on grandc and it says its ok to get 32 bit home premium windows 7
    Thanks.

What is the Service Tag on the machine?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family