MSE News: Lack of data on new-build homes leaving insurance customers in the lurch

Options
People moving into new-build properties can't get home or car cover because insurers don't recognise their postcodes...
Read the full story:
'Lack of data on new-build homes leaving insurance customers in the lurch'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Mishomeister
    Options
    Council has renamed the address for our property and the whole estate around it at the beginning of October. Since then it has been an absolute nightmare. Many companies(not only only insurers) such as comparethemarket.com would not find our address.
    Moreover even DVLA don't have our address and I am unable to change my drivers license online.
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    Council has renamed the address for our property and the whole estate around it at the beginning of October. Since then it has been an absolute nightmare. Many companies(not only only insurers) such as comparethemarket.com would not find our address.
    Moreover even DVLA don't have our address and I am unable to change my drivers license online.

We had it easier than you, but still took several weeks of telling them that the systemes wouldn't find it but that it did exist!
    I emailed the DVLA and they understood and sent me forms to do it manually. Might be worth doing the same?
    Mortgage Debt £53,879.68 as of 2nd July
    Help to Buy Equity Loan Debt £26,799
    Total Debt: £80,678.68 of £133,995 two bed house
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I remember one example of a new build as a call centre worker. A customer moved into a property converted from a school. The address was property number, name of former school, road name. For example - 10 School Mews, Victoria Street. Royal Mail didn't have this new build on their database and both 10 School Mews and 10 Victoria Street had the same postcode. So you guessed it, the people in Victoria Street got mail for them and the respective house number in the school!

I said to take it up with Royal Mail - either gave them a separate postcode or.added the house numbers on the Victoria Street of the missing numbers. So if the numbers either side of the school are 50-60 - use 52 -58.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure