MSE News: Most businesses don't understand rules on 'unfair terms' – know your rights

Options
Former_MSE_Lucinda
Former_MSE_Lucinda Posts: 46 Forumite
edited 25 October 2016 at 12:58PM in Consumer rights
The majority of businesses in the UK don't fully understand rules around 'unfair terms' in relation to consumer rights law, according to the Competition and Markets Authority...
Read the full story:
'Most UK businesses don't properly understand rules on 'unfair terms' – know your rights'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In my opinion I think the majority know the regulations but choose to ignore them, hoping that in the event of something going wrong the customer is not savvy enough ( MSE readers excepted of course ) to know their rights.

I have had such experiences with retailers, but found going back to them and disputing their statements paid off.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @post #2 ... the key is for consumers to approach sellers from a position of knowledge; far too often they go in (metaphorically, for online orders) spouting "I know my rights" when they quite patently don't.

Hopefully such consumers will find their way here and we can educate them. :)
  • Summer_Dreams
    Options
    Definately! Even the big ones like Currys PC world, who told me any fault should be reported within 48 hours of delivery but citizens advice have said this cannot override the consumer rights act.
    It's just getting them to beleive this that's the tricky one!
  • skyeblue
    Options
    Do "unfair terms" include having to return an item to the nearest store for repair under warranty, when the item was bought online, and the nearest store is 250mile round trip. (item bought before October 2015)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Warranties can have whatever (reasonable) terms they wish. Statutory rights (SOGA in your case) are not warranties.

So if you want to invoke the warranty, and a terms says you need to take it to a store, then you take it to the store. Otherwise you contact the seller to invoke your SOGA rights ... at which point (if it is more than 6 months since purchase when you first reported the issue) the seller is within their rights to ask you to get a report done that confirms the issue was caused by an inherent fault before they are obliged to offer any remedy. (On proof of an inherent fault the reasonable report cost should be refunded by the seller).

Please see post #3 ;)
  • skyeblue
    skyeblue Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, I understand.
    Does it affect my position in that they have already repaired it once without my having to return it to the store - the local repairer collected and returned it to my home?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure