Replacing Tyres on a Lease Car

Options
I have a Nissan Qashqui on lease and I need two tyres changing. I don't have a maintenance package on the car so will have to pay myself. Seeing as I only have a year left on the lease, I don't want to spend a fortune on the tyres. I spoke with the guy who I use for tyres and he said I will probably have to replace them with exactly what's on there and not anything cheaper as it'll probably be written in my agreement.
I've checked my paperwork and can't find anything stating this. Does anyone know if this is right? The current tyres are double the cost of the budget/mid-range ones.

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    best people to ask would be your lease company and discuss the terms with them
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you will need to check with the lease company

some say you must fit premium brand tyres some say tyres must be the same size quality and speed rating to the tyres originally fitted

the only person that will give you a definitive answer is the lease company
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your needing new tyres your lease period was too long.....;)

If it was me I would be looking for a deal one one of the premium brands from what you say you still have a bit of time. Tyre prices were one of the first things I noticed going up in price after the fall in sterling (almost instantaneously).
  • snuffalilly
    Options
    Thanks all. Will contact the lease company to check. I've only had the car 18 months so the tyres cant have been great when I got it. ☹️️
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 October 2016 at 8:39AM
    Options
    How many miles have you done? And why do they need changing? (e.g. could you swap wheels front to back to even out the wear?)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    If your needing new tyres your lease period was too long.....;)

If it was me I would be looking for a deal one one of the premium brands from what you say you still have a bit of time. Tyre prices were one of the first things I noticed going up in price after the fall in sterling (almost instantaneously).

The Continental Premium Contact 5s on the Qashqai don't last very long!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So you've worn the standard-fit out in a year and a half - but you don't want to put good tyres on, because you've only got it for another year?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really need to give us the mileage and the tread depths.

Have any tyres been swapped front to back already?
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    For 12 months motoring I wouldnt take the option of budget tyres, try and find a deal on a pair of premium tyres. Ive had mixed success in the past with the budget tyres and I wouldnt bother again
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fit mid range tyres rather than a premium brand. As long as the size, speed and load rating are correct they will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure