Old address on V5C and looking to part-ex

Options
lizards
lizards Posts: 244 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 16 October 2016 at 1:22PM in Motoring
We're looking to buy a new car on PCP and part exchange our old one.

I've just located the V5C and to my horror I realise I didn't update the address from when we moved (in a hurry and at a very stressful time, not that this is an excuse) 18 months ago. For the record I did remember to do my driving license and all the other stuff at least! I guess because car tax is online now, that's why I didn't realise before this point or I'd have seen the forwarded on reminder at renewal time.

We've had mail forwarding set up since we moved so I'm 99.9% sure I don't have any speeding tickets etc, so that's hopefully not an issue.

However, what should I do with the V5C? We might be part-ex in the next two weeks, and chances are high the new one with our correct address on won't be back in time.

Obviously I'll take photos of it if I do post it off as evidence it exists, but would that be enough for the dealer? Would it be better to just leave it and present it with the wrong address on?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just leave it.

It'll cause more problems trying to sell it without the V5.
  • lizards
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I'm thinking.. after all we can prove we lived at the old address from our credit records if nothing else.

I'm just wondering how strict a car dealer desperate for a sale is going to be! If it was a private sale and not a part-ex it might be a different matter of course.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you paying the tax by DD?
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Why not update the V5, wait a few weeks for DVLA to do their stuff then look for a new car.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    Options
    Update the V5C it will be back within a week, bought a car on Monday afternoon and had the new one document arrive on Wednesday.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    lizards wrote: »
    I guess because car tax is online now, that's why I didn't realise before this point or I'd have seen the forwarded on reminder at renewal time.
    Reminders are still sent. It just hasn't been forwarded...
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I would get the address on the V5 updated with the DVLA just in case you have any outstanding traffic offences lurking.
    If you had triggered a speeding camera then it's possible that the NIP was sent to your old address and the current occupant simply binned it.
    Unlikely, but worth finding out.
  • lizards
    Options
    Thanks all :-)
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Are you paying the tax by DD?

Yep, paying it by DD. They send me emails. The royal mail forwarding has been pretty reliable before now and even when it screws up, our brilliant postie still passes stuff on!

I tend to keep to the limit, never had a ticket in 20+ years of driving, but I guess it's still technically possible, just extremely unlikely.

We *could* wait a few weeks, but if the right car pops up (we've been checking dealer stock daily as there's a 4-6 month wait on custom builds) before it comes back it would be very frustrating to miss out.

If I knew we would get the form back within a week it would be a no-brainer to send it off as probably the paperwork would take that long, but 2-4 weeks is not good.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Send off the docs and probably get back within 2 weeks. Don't send off and be unsure as to whether the car of my dreams is missed. I know what I'd do.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lizards wrote: »
    Thanks all :-)

Yep, paying it by DD. They send me emails. The royal mail forwarding has been pretty reliable before now and even when it screws up, our brilliant postie still passes stuff on!

I tend to keep to the limit, never had a ticket in 20+ years of driving, but I guess it's still technically possible, just extremely unlikely.

We *could* wait a few weeks, but if the right car pops up (we've been checking dealer stock daily as there's a 4-6 month wait on custom builds) before it comes back it would be very frustrating to miss out.

If I knew we would get the form back within a week it would be a no-brainer to send it off as probably the paperwork would take that long, but 2-4 weeks is not good.

Surely any decent dealer will be able to check what other dealers have on order (mine can) and the dealers swap cars around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure