Child benefit not been paid for 14 months!!!!!

Options
I have only just realised that I haven't been paid child benefit for over a year! We only have 1 child living at home (14 year old) and the last payment I have received was 4th Aug 2015. My circumstances have not changed. Same job for last 4 years and my husband and I have not gone over the max you can earn before it stops.

I am so angry at myself for not checking my statements. My ridiculus small amount of CSA £69 a month has gone into my account but not child benefit. My husband is my daughters step father hence why I receive CSA from biological dad. We receive no other benefits as on quite good combind salary. I also have not changed bank accounts.

I obviously don't desparetly need the £20 a week but we are currently renting and searching to buy a house and I am gutted as the figure for a year is £1000 which could have gone towards my daughters activities or into her JISA. Online it says you may get it back dated for a couple or so months. Just don't know why it just stopped. I will try and phone them Monday. Any other suggestions on course of action appreciated.

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    If nice you know why it has stopped then advice can be given but I don't think there is much that can be said until then.

It could be that they have tried to write to you and you haven't responded for some reason e.g. You haven't received the letter.
  • Helen224488
    Options
    We live in a first floor flat and our post is very variable - some times we get post and some times we don't. Maybe they wrote a letter that I didn't receive.
  • Gpod
    Gpod Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    My ridiculus small amount of CSA £69 a month has gone into my account but not child benefit.

I obviously don't desparetly need the £20 a week but we are currently renting and searching to buy a house and I am gutted as the figure for a year is £1000 which could have gone towards my daughters activities or into her JISA.

You claim that your CSA is a ridiculously small amount but are gutted by missing out on a similar, ridiculously small amount of Child Benefit.
  • Helen224488
    Options
    Gpod - of course I am gutted in missing out on child benefit payments that I am entitled to as it adds up to over £1250. CB actually is £89.70 a month so £20 more a month than my child support. I only said my child support was a ridiculous amount because it is. I am not sure if you have children but £69 a month does not cover much. For instance my daughter is participating in Duke of Edinburgh award at school and there is a cost of £250. She is also studying GCSE photography so needed a camera £300 and photograpy pack from school which was £35. So although my child support is not much if I add it to child benefit it would help contribute towards these costs.

I was actually expecting people to give constuctive advice or to see if this has happened to anyone else. Just because something is small doesn't mean it would not be appreciated. We don't claim any other benefits and would use the CB to enrich my daughters life.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 4:22PM
    Options
    You need to first find out why it has been stopped. I don't think anyone can advise you sensibly until they know what has actually happened

So, as you say, contact Child Benefit on Monday and ask the question. You'll also, possibly, be wanting to get the claim reinstated

Any challenge or backdating could be difficult, though. You are most likely out of time (unless you can prove some sort of maladministration) and I'd be asking why it has taken you so long to raise the query. I guess I am one of those anal people who check their bank statements regularly so find it a bit surprising that it took you so long to notice
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure your child's other parent isn't claiming it?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Helen224488
    Options
    I am positive my daughters other biological parent isn't claiming. We are on pretty good terms. He has her every Sunday (for past 10 years).
  • Helen224488
    Options
    I phoned child benefit and I was told that a letter was sent to me in January and it was returned stating ‘gone away’ but that the letter might not have been sent by child benefit department and they could not tell me the content of the letter. I have lived at my current address since 2012.

I was told I needed to complete a new claim form and that I could request for mandatory consideration to backdate payments as I have lost out on 14 months.

So I have completed the form and will post tomorrow. I have also completed an online complaint form and will wait to see what they respond with.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    If it was sent in January Why did your payments stop in August?
  • Helen224488
    Options
    They said they put it on hold for 9 months then it ceased but it doesn't make sense as 9 months would be September - strange.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure