Is my Technicolor modem a wireless router too?

Options
forgive my ignorance, I have a Technicolor modem (Im with Plusnet) that i got 2 years ago when we signed up with then JohnLewis broadband in my village. We're in an old house with thick solid walls and struggle to get wifi in the back bedroom. All we have coming in to the house internet wise is the modem, so I assume its the router too?? :o And would it have a pretty poor wifi signal from it?

We've got a TP-Link extender but when its on upstairs, we struggle using laptops downstairs, always hanging up etc

Would a better wifi router help us? And would it plug into our Technicolor, or replace it?

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless you got the modem 15+ years ago then it's almost certainly a modem/router/WiFi access point in one device.

What is its model number?
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Unless you got the modem 15+ years ago then it's almost certainly a modem/router/WiFi access point in one device.

What is its model number?

Hi Doam
    sorry, its a TG 582n. I'm no computer expert but it looks pretty cheap (and im guessing poor quality?)

It struggles to send through 1 wooden door, up an open staircase, along a 6m landing and through another wooden door
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »

It struggles to send through 1 wooden door, up an open staircase, along a 6m landing and through another wooden door

Is that a straight line? Radio signals only travel in straight lines.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technicolour-TG582n-Port-Wireless-Router/dp/B005ELFTH4

It might be your WiFi channels that need changing .But it is a basic product .
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    But to answer the question - Yes, it does have a WiFi access point built in. The SSID will be on the device label (assuming you or someone else hasn't changed it in the meantime).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I dumped the plusnet router and went with the BT homehub one. Unlike some ISP's Plusnet will give you the login name and password to use another device.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at this thread about extending wireless network coverage:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5538931

The best thing to do would be to run a cable upstairs and connect a wireless access point.

Otherwise, you could use wireless powerline adaptors. Something like this:
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit-av500-wireless-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-21436595-pdt.html

(The above isn't a particular recommendation -- just an example of what would work.)
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for buying a used bt homehub 5 from ebay - much better wireless signal than the Technicolor at a bargain price

There's an easy to follow guide on how to connect it pinned on the Plusnet forum.

If you still need access upstairs etc, wireless homeplug (powerline) is easy to set up and avoids running wires everywhere
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My PlusNet Technicolor router has been stored in the box since 3 weeks I received it. That's how long it took me to realise how completely rubbish it was, and relace it with a very good TP-Link model.

However, last time I had yet another BT engineer visit to investigate my poor PN FTTC service, PN told me that I could ask them to send me a better router, ignoring the fact that I had told them at least twice that I had bought and fitted a TP-Link one. I assume that anyone requesting that, would have to pay, but it might be worth asking what model it is, then Google - checking the model. If it's not Gigabit (also shown as 10/100/1000) then buy another model that is.

All irrelevant to me now anyway, as I will soon be taking Sky Q broadband and TV, having got a good deal at my local Currys for a new TV and the Sky service. I give that a year: if I want to keep Sky I will. If not, I will switch when the price goes up after the "Offer" period runs out. And keep the Freebies that I blagged from them....
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family