Condensation problems Positive input ventilation help please.

We have a 4 bedroom detached house which is built as an "upside down design". Imagine a bungalow from one side and large windows down stairs.
The room which borders the hill is 23ft long and has been tested fine for damp (has cavity walls filled a few years ago) and has a very small window.
As the temperatures are dropping we have discovered that the house suffers from condensation.
By design the bedrooms are much cooler (around 3 degrees lower in winter and around 8 degrees in the summer).
Will struggle with ventilation (my wife like hermetically sealed from the outside), the bathroom has no option for extraction but 2 good sized windows which we open.

Has anyone used a PIV system in this sort of house?
It would be nice to circulate some of the warmth from the top of the stairs and to put a hold on the condensation before we start getting repair bills from neglect.

Any advice appreciated
Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Where do you think the humidity is coming from? If it is coming from things like cooking, laundry, dishwasher, and yes showering/bathing then it might be best to address those sources first.
  • Moisture is from showers with bathroom with no extractor (windows are opened during showering and short time afterwards) general cooking and breathing.
    Where we can reduce moisture, we have with a tumbler in a porch sealed from house and not drying clothes on radiators etc.
    The house has 3x 10ft windows which don't have trickle vents, north windows condense most but it's not like a house of damp.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a normal design house and had a Nuaire Drimaster fitted a few years ago for condensation and it has been fantastic . I think there was a few models on their website so they may have something suitable, I also found them helpful when I contacted them.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 October 2016 at 3:13PM
    Moisture is from showers with bathroom with no extractor (windows are opened during showering and short time afterwards) general cooking and breathing.
    Where we can reduce moisture, we have with a tumbler in a porch sealed from house and not drying clothes on radiators etc.
    The house has 3x 10ft windows which don't have trickle vents, north windows condense most but it's not like a house of damp.

Humans product a lot of moisture and stopping all drafts etc. exacerbates damp problems greatly. For the shower the window it needs kept open for 12 hours or more after showering, or an fit an extractor fan.

At the end of the day a portable dehumidifier will be needed.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • I can't get extraction to the bathroom by design. I think I will try the bursitis system.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    I'm struggling to picture a situation where a bathroom has openable windows but it is impossible to provide mechanical extraction. Care to elaborate?
  • The bathroom has a soil pipe to one side and window just above the toilet cistern height to the ceiling.
    Some of the same houses have bricked up some of the width and fitted extractors, some have the fan in the middle of the window which is not cosmetically pleaseing.
  • I have a residential Let that suffers from condensation and have struggled to find anyone that has knowledge of fitting a Nuaire Drimaster in the Leeds area. From what I have read up, this could solve the problems with mold appearing in certain spots. The quotes I have had to supply and fit are £1000+, which is a bit steep considering the actual unit from the manufaturer is only £320. Anyone know if Nuaire have a list of recommended installers?
  • I'm going to buy the device myself and either fit or get the electrician to fit it if the price is fair. They do need hard wired so it will need signed off.
    Be aware they have a new model released this month with a more astectically pleasing vent. I'm looking at the one with a boost switch and auto humidistat
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    mazziee wrote: »
    I have a residential Let that suffers from condensation and have struggled to find anyone that has knowledge of fitting a Nuaire Drimaster in the Leeds area. From what I have read up, this could solve the problems with mold appearing in certain spots. The quotes I have had to supply and fit are £1000+, which is a bit steep considering the actual unit from the manufaturer is only £320. Anyone know if Nuaire have a list of recommended installers?

Having a similar issue. Been quoted £1,344.00 including VAT. Hoping that a couple of more subtle, cheaper changes to the property will help the condensation issue but considering shopping around and maybe speaking to a couple of local sparkies to see if they have knowledge of installing them. Seems a lot of money. It's the purchase of the system plus small materials to install / hard wire but the unit sits in the landing ceiling and takes air from the empty roof void so hardly vast amounts of builders work involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure