Do I need to divorce?

Options
I separated from my husband just over a year ago. I moved out of the marital home and moved back to the town we used to live in which is where both our families live.

He still lives in the marital home which is a three bed house.

I have told him we need to sell the house but he is refusing by saying he wouldn't be able to rent because of problems he had with a previous rental company (he disputed the amount of deposit they returned to him) and he can't afford to buy another property. He has told me if I want the house sold I'll have to take him to court.

My question is: do I have to go through divorce proceedings to be able to sell the house or is there a cheaper alternative. I'm not too bothered about divorce as I have no intention to marry again and at the moment it's something I can't afford anyway.

I just want to know where I stand as I think the only reason he is telling me to take him to court is because I don't have the money for anything that is going to be really expensive so has the upper hand over me.

Thanks for reading.
Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010

Comments

• chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could have a legal separation and still get all your finances and property sorted out. Get yourself legal advice - your local CAB may well have a family/relationship solicitor who can help.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You've been fair it seems, but he hasn't.
    Time to stand up for yourself. As said get legal advice and good luck .
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is reason for not being able to rent are nonsense. It sounds more like an issue with affordability checks. This could indicate financial issues and as such, I would definitely look into a divorce asap to cut all financial ties with him. Who pays the mortgage?
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    If he can't rent, it's his problem. Don't be guilt tripped into anything. Stand your ground. You've been fair until now (hearing your side of things) and unfortunately sometimes there becomes a point whereby being nice doesn't work. Get legals involved before it gets nasty.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tbh as joint owner he has every right to carry on living in the house. OP WAS the one that decided to decamp.

This would have been the advice from these boards if the sees were reversed.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In your shoes, OP, I'd go for divorce, just to clear the decks & bombproof your personal finances both now & time future.

I've yet to meet a divorce lawyer who requires cash up front, so get all the advice you can free/via CAB (read wikivorce?) then go to court & get it all nailed down, everything - absolute *and* financial settlement.

I presume both bank & mortgage co know you've moved out? A minor courtesy, that may restrict his ability to kite a massive debt onto any joint cards...
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    OP WAS the one that decided to decamp.

How unfair to imply blame on a wife for leaving when the husband has [STRIKE]cheated beaten her run up quarter of a million pounds of debt conned her grandma out of her life savings molested their daughter[/STRIKE][insert offence or crime or cruelty here]
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    OP a deposit dispute doesn't stop someone renting, come on now use your head.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If disputing deposit deductions prevented me from renting another property I'd have wound up living in a cardboard box years ago. In other words he's talking piffle.

Unless there are children involved then it really doesn't matter who left the marital home and who remained. The relationship is over and it's best to sever financial ties so that you can both move on with your lives.

Staying married could have financial implications for you further down the line. For example, if you want to buy a home then you'll be hit with the additional 3% SDLT because as a married couple you can only have one main residence and that would be where he currently lives. Forcing a sale when one party really doesn't want to sell takes time so the sooner you get the ball rolling the sooner the house will be sold.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If he is not willing to coioperate then no, there is no't a cheaper alternative.

A separation agreement is just that, an agreement.

Wht I'd suggest is:

- start divorce proceedings. You can do this yourself if you feel confident - get the forms from the cour (don't use/pay an online company)
    - Self-refer for mediation - it's a necessary step on the way to going to court and it's possible that you may make some progress. For instance, while the mediatoror isn't there to give legal advice they may be abel to confirm that it is normal for a property to be sold.

depending on what equity / other assets there are, you ex might well be able to rent byu paying a deposit & six months rent in advance, although having had a dispute with a loandlord in the past would not prevent him from renting now.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure