Debenhams/Santander....saying she ticked the box

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunshine62 wrote: »
    Neither was my sister working. She did try to cancel it but they kept telling her that her husband would be covered.

How does she go about getting evidence from the HMRC

See this is the issue with not providing all the details at the time. If she was not working and the card was in her name only it would have been miss-sold as she could never have claimed
  • bohica26
    Options
    I am a complete newby to forums! So please bear with me...I have submitted a PPI claim to Santander for my old Debenhams card which ran continuously from feb1993 to May 2013. The card was sold to me at a till point at my local store with the sales assisstant completing the application form for me in my presence. I have a reply from them stating that I was mis-sold PPI, but that only one premium was charged but, due to the time elapsed, their records from this period are 'incomplete' and have asked me if I have additional documentation to evidence that additional premiums were paid. The total purchases made during this period totalled a little under £18,500. It seems a little strange to me that I would have cancelled PPI after one payment when I wasn't even aware I had taken it out in the first place!! I am interested to know if anyone else out there has received such a letter. For information, they have offered me the princely sum of £1.15 as full and final settlement!!!
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    bohica26 wrote: »
    I am a complete newby to forums! So please bear with me...I have submitted a PPI claim to Santander for my old Debenhams card which ran continuously from feb1993 to May 2013. The card was sold to me at a till point at my local store with the sales assisstant completing the application form for me in my presence. I have a reply from them stating that I was mis-sold PPI, but that only one premium was charged but, due to the time elapsed, their records from this period are 'incomplete' and have asked me if I have additional documentation to evidence that additional premiums were paid. The total purchases made during this period totalled a little under £18,500. It seems a little strange to me that I would have cancelled PPI after one payment when I wasn't even aware I had taken it out in the first place!! I am interested to know if anyone else out there has received such a letter. For information, they have offered me the princely sum of £1.15 as full and final settlement!!!

PPI is only paid when you have a balance on the card (rather than paying off in full every month) so it is possible you only paid once.

Similarly, you could have cancelled the policy later.

If you know you have paid £18500 over the years do you have any documentation showing that? If so, send copies to them.

They can't magic up sums and if you don't have proof of what you paid you won't get any further
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    If you know you have paid £18500 over the years do you have any documentation showing that? If so, send copies to them.
    The OP states that he made £18,500 worth of PURCHASES on his credit card, not that he paid this amount in PPI. Little point sending evidence of purchases, the OP needs to send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    The OP states that he made £18,500 worth of PURCHASES on his credit card, not that he paid this amount in PPI. Little point sending evidence of purchases, the OP needs to send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...

I didn't say they paid £18500 in PPI

bohica26 said that Santander only had evidence of PPI payments of £1.15 (or whatever it was + interest) but bohica26 also said they had paid £18500 on the card.

If they have proof of that payment (in the form of statements) then said statements would show if there was PPI, so Santander could use them to calculate if any more was due - hence them asking for bohica26's documentation

If bohica26 has no proof that such a sum was paid then they cannot pay any more
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I didn't say they paid £18500 in PPI
    Just to reiterate, the OP needs to simply send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...

Proof of £18,500 in purchases will be useless unless such proof also shows PPI attached.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Just to reiterate, the OP needs to simply send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...

Proof of £18,500 in purchases will be useless unless such proof also shows PPI attached.

Which is what I said, if they have statements supporting the claim they spent £18500 on the card they will show PPI. If they are just estimating this amount such a claim is effectively worthless as it is not proof of PPI payments - as stated previously they could have cancelled the PPI or paid off the balance every month in full thus not paying any PPI
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just to reiterate, again, the OP needs to simply send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...:p
  • myrtle15
    Options
    Hi All,
    Keep up with your claims for Debenhams and Dorothy Perkins storecards! Santander have just upheld my complaint and are refunding me £4855 (total for both). My claim was put in 8 weeks ago for cards I took out in 1998 and had been paying the balance back until 2005. My complaint was based on the fact that I was offered the storecards in order to receive 10% or 20% off the purchases at the sales tillpoint. The cashier filled in the form and at no time was PPI explained to me, neither then nor later.
    I didn't hold out much hope of winning my case, as I could only find a couple of old statements from 1998 (a very lucky chance from clearing out the loft in a house move). Luckily, it showed PPI premium being deducted, as well as the extortionate monthly rate of interest I was paying for using these storecards too!
    Santander say they have reconstructed my account prior to their full transactional records from 2005, therefore an averaged of the total figures has been calculated to reach their refund figure. Considering that I don't have anymore records, to back up my belief that I am quite likely owed significantly more than this, I think this offer is not altogether unrealistic.

Good luck with your complaints!

Myrtle
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    myrtle15 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Keep up with your claims for Debenhams and Dorothy Perkins storecards! Santander have just upheld my complaint and are refunding me £4855 (total for both). My claim was put in 8 weeks ago for cards I took out in 1998 and had been paying the balance back until 2005. My complaint was based on the fact that I was offered the storecards in order to receive 10% or 20% off the purchases at the sales tillpoint. The cashier filled in the form and at no time was PPI explained to me, neither then nor later.
    I didn't hold out much hope of winning my case, as I could only find a couple of old statements from 1998 (a very lucky chance from clearing out the loft in a house move). Luckily, it showed PPI premium being deducted, as well as the extortionate monthly rate of interest I was paying for using these storecards too!
    Santander say they have reconstructed my account prior to their full transactional records from 2005, therefore an averaged of the total figures has been calculated to reach their refund figure. Considering that I don't have anymore records, to back up my belief that I am quite likely owed significantly more than this, I think this offer is not altogether unrealistic.

Good luck with your complaints!

Myrtle

You've basically got lucky with Santander trying to get rid of these old complaints. PPI in stores was on a non-advised basis, there was no requirement to explain it in detail in store. Enjoy your "winnings".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure