PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Service charge issues in leasehold flats

Options

Comments

• Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:02PM
    Options
    Resolved issue :)
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    I can see it isn't fair but would it be enough in itself to stop me buying my dream home, when I've got this far into the process?

It sounds a bit odd. I cannot imagine that an insurance company would insure on the basis that they did not cover the whole building. That is the point of having a common policy, after all! The only way to tell would be to ask to see the building insurance documentation. TBH I don't think a mortgage company would be happy with a split arrangement either.

Which makes me wonder whether it's all just a bit of smoke and mirrors - the freeholder just excluded his own flats from the payment schedule, but they are actually included in the policy and services paid for by the charges. That's the simpler explanation. Not fair, but oh well never mind.
  • Jox
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:03PM
    Options
  • pinkpiglit
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    I have asked the freeholder if they pay separately for the services and they have told me to ask my solicitor to contact their solicitor and there will be costs involved so maybe I have to drop this but I may lose my buyer over this and it will come up again if I find another buyer so I feel stuck..

Maybe you need to do this in order to find out whether there are separate charges that are paid directly by the top floor. I'd have thought this will be the only way you'll know for sure, anything else will be pure speculation.
  • Jox
    Options
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    Hoploz wrote: »

It sounds a bit odd. I cannot imagine that an insurance company would insure on the basis that they did not cover the whole building. That is the point of having a common policy, after all! The only way to tell would be to ask to see the building insurance documentation. TBH I don't think a mortgage company would be happy with a split arrangement either.

It's not impossible - I think it happens reasonably often in Scotland, where there isn't the same leasehold structure for blocks of flats. In my block each individual flat arranges their own buildings insurance.

It does seem daft that a freeholder can just refuse to answer a seemingly straightforward question... can you ask for a copy of the bills/documents in question, eg the insurance, so you can see for yourself whether it relates to the entire block and how much it costs? I'd certainly expect to get such information from the factor as a matter of course, so it seems reasonable to ask the freeholder for it.
  • Jox
    Options
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    But of course it will cost you, why should it be 'free'
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    Thank you, I guess it's not worth trying to get 5 years worth of contributions from the freeholder for all the electricity etc we have paid for, for the top flats :)

I would be seething if this happened to me but I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face by kicking up a fuss whilst I was still in a property that I was trying to sell.

Get rid of that place first; get even later :wink:
    Mornië utulië
  • Jox
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories