PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Under Construction

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    British homebuyers are used to buying property that is substantial. But this kind of building is no longer tenable or necessary. Current day design focuses more on heat efficient living space but with less substantial construction materials (although I think steel will last long enough!).

Modular timber is used to construct huf houses which I think are catching on so the principle of a different kind of home may be becoming more acceptable.

You actually make a good point. Building houses out of small blocks of fired clay and sand mixed with cement, water and aggregate makes for a time consuming exercise and is a permanent blot on the landscape. It is extremely expensive to change the size should this become necessary in future years.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2016 at 4:42PM
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Can I ask, what's the purpose of your question? Are you looking for investment opportunity?

Not at all. I'm just trying to be positive about that which I think is an important issue. If I was in it for the money, I wouldn't be airing the idea in a public forum :o.

Now stop being so suspicious; I know you're a man capable of less negativity and able to provide (even more) valuable input :).
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Trouble is, the words "non-standard construction" have become inextricably linked with "unmortgageable, unsellable trouble" in a lot of the population's minds.

But this could become 'standardised construction' (on a huge scale) without the negative connotations.
    Mornië utulië
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Not at all. I'm just trying to be positive about that which I think is an important issue. If I was in it for the money, I wouldn't be airing the idea in a public forum :o.

Now stop being so suspicious; I know you're a man capable of less negativity and able to provide (even more) valuable input :).

But this could become 'standardised construction' (on a huge scale) without the negative connotations.

You misunderstand, I'm not bothered if you were investing or not. My point was, this post wont change legislation or make developers think.

So I just wondering if there was an 'end goal', if it's just for discussion purposes then all good, but if you wanted some advice on this area regarding self builds, or investment or whatever.

I agree that as an idea it has merits, but getting an idea off the ground is another matter :)
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    You misunderstand, I'm not bothered if you were investing or not. My point was, this post wont change legislation or make developers think.

So I just wondering if there was an 'end goal', if it's just for discussion purposes then all good, but if you wanted some advice on this area regarding self builds, or investment or whatever.

I agree that as an idea it has merits, but getting an idea off the ground is another matter :)

Ah, my apologies. It is a discussion topic that I hoped people might find a nice change from the usual stuff. But you never know...trees grow from small seeds; if the intelligent readership here can see merit in the idea perhaps it is one worth relaying to the bigwigs :)
    Mornië utulië
  • Guest101
    Ah, my apologies. It is a discussion topic that I hoped people might find a nice change from the usual stuff. But you never know...trees grow from small seeds; if the intelligent readership here can see merit in the idea perhaps it is one worth relaying to the bigwigs :)

It's something like this I suppose:

Ford know the focus is their most popular model, but they still make the fiesta.

I think developers know that having a modular house has benefits to the consumer, but building the 2 up 2 down rabbit holes has the best ROI
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I think developers know that having a modular house has benefits to the consumer, but building the 2 up 2 down rabbit holes has the best ROI

That's why it'll never happen (other than in isolated pockets) without government legislation/support.
    It's something like this I suppose:

Ford know the focus is their most popular model, but they still make the fiesta.

Indeed. But it will be within the gift of Government to help them see the merit and profit in different designs. Perhaps for starters by only adopting estates of modular construction on completion?
    Mornië utulië
  • Guest101
    Indeed. But it will be within the gift of Government to help them see the merit and profit in different designs. Perhaps for starters by only adopting estates of modular construction on completion?

The problem is the developers have the govt by the gonads.

There's a housing shortage and imposing new regulations will just slow down construction
    The problem is the developers have the govt by the gonads.

There's a housing shortage and imposing new regulations will just slow down construction

The EU thought it had the UK by the gonads too. People will accept change if in the long term it is for the better.
    Mornië utulië
  • Guest101
    The EU thought it had the UK by the gonads too. People will accept change if in the long term it is for the better.

I see your point but this is different.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's cold hard facts. There is a huge national housing shortage and there is very limited nationalised construction.

99.9% of construction is by the private sector. They work from pre approved architect plans, using buying power to get vast quantities of resources and the margins are often quite tight on each unit.

The alternative is govt subsidies, which would be recouped via increate in Council Tax and generally increase in house prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure