PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Service charge issues in leasehold flats

Jox
Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Resolved issue :)

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Are you sure that those costs aren't the pro rata rate?
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2016 at 8:20PM
    The buyer can't be very keen if he is thinking of pulling out on a point of principle of 'inequality'
  • Jox
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:01PM
  • Jox
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:02PM
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Jox wrote: »
    Would you want to buy a flat and pay the annual service charge (around £1200 a year) knowing that 6 flats weren't paying their share? :)

I don't think I would and I may be in that situation unknowingly..
    ... id never buy a leasehold flat.

But what you describe isn't inherently unfair. You pay the freeholder to provide a service, and they provide that service.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2016 at 5:21PM
    The building insurance is £13,000 – is it possible to have one buildings insurance policy for 42 flats over 3 floors and a separate policy for 6 flats on one floor?
    I imagine if the building burned down the 2 insurers would spend months arguing (maybe going to court) over which of them pays how much.

Overall it's a vey unsatisfactory state of affairs. Short term, if the buyer puls out there is nothing you can do except
    * try to improve the arrangement whilst also
    * looking for a new buyer

Longer term, my first steps would be

* discuss with other leaseholders and see if they feel the system is fair and are willing to take action
    * if enough of you are concerned, apply for Right To Manage
    * once you control the management of the building, start billing the freeholder for services he uses eg drainage etc
    * if he refuses to pay for services that he uses but which you pay for (he may clean his own windows but I doubt he has seperate drainage!), then either withdraw those services (if possible - eg disconnect the door buzzer to the top floor?) and/or go to court.
  • Jox
  • Jox
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your input G_M, I don't want to manage the building, I want to move to a house so my child can have his own bedroom but I appreciate your suggestions :)
    Then what can I say beyond the obvious? Find a new buyer....
  • I don't think it's worth the effort and heartache to fight against the current set-up personally. You'll just have to find a new buyer and sooner or later one will come along where they won't take much notice of what the current set up is or it just won't bother them. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure