conveyancing solicitors

Options
Can anyone recommend a good conveyancing solicitor? Should we avoid online options?

They seem to range from £700 to about £2,500 but I can't work out if you get more if you pay more or if they are just more expensive?

Please tell me who you used and if you would recommend them to a friend! Thanks!! :beer:

Comments

• David_White
    Options
    I can't recommend a firm however I'd suggest making a decision first of all based on what you want from them... i.e do you want to be able to see someone face-to-face locally or are you happy with little interaction and completing forms then posting them?

If your case is straight forward and you don't feel the need to talk everything through then I'd look into firms further afield but it's horses for courses :)
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ap1985
    ap1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is always better to go with someone locally or a recommendation. Where are you located?
    :jFinally going to be a homeowner:T
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask some friends who have recently moved who they used.

FWIW I used a local firm (recommended by a friend) when I was just buying, not selling as well, & they charged me £820.00 all in & turned it around in 3 weeks 4 days.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Mrsrjo
    Mrsrjo Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    We're based in Leamington Spa.

Not fussed about face-to-face, to be honest would prefer not havinf to go to meetings etc.
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    We moved in Dec last year and we went with an online one called Premier Property Lawyers (eZie Conveyancing) which was linked to our online Estate agents (I think a few are linked to them),

Bad choice, was fine at the start and very easy to use uploading documents on to their website etc, and you can see at what progress everything was at etc whenever you logged on,... however once we started to have delays in the process suddenly you couldn't get hold of anyone, our contact was always in meetings or at lunch and we wasted a fortune on phone calls,..

If we move again I would definitely go with someone local where you can go in and chain yourself to their desk if needed,...!
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    As above, I'd go with local firms. I rang around several different solicitor firms. A couple didn't bother to get back to me. Some were curt on the phone. I ended up narrowing it down to five who all quoted within about £100 of each other. I went for the one that was closest to my workplace and hence easiest to get to. I think I had two appointments - one for the initial chat/paperwork and one for the sign off. Everything else was done by phone/email.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I approached a local firm who told me they would be happy to do but that lenders often had their own conveyancing services that were much cheaper so I might asked them. Indeed, the lender did have their own service and quoted £300 cheaper.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mrsrjo wrote: »

They seem to range from £700 to about £2,500

Are you comparing the quotes on a like for like basis?
  • chrislee2810
    Options
    Just be careful with the online cheaper ones, they tend to quote you on a very basic service, once you instruct them the cost almost doubles.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are a couple of dozen big firms operating nationally and you will hear bad things about all of them. You are bound to as they do so many cases that there must be troublesome ones.

Experience tells me small local firms can also be painful, slow and prehistoric.

A personal recommendation is best and our poster is smart in realising they they would prefer a non meeting process which points them in a direction to start with.

Whether anyone on here recommends PPL or any of the others I am willing to bet someone else says they are useless.

The reality is that it is a progress trying to work in the 21C based on laws dating back hundreds of years.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure