How can i move into IFA (part-time/ home based)

Broadex
Broadex Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 21 September 2016 at 9:15PM in Savings & investments
Sorry I’m new the forum so I may be posting this in the wrong category.
I’m thinking of running an evening IFA business from home just to hone my skills or being employed part-time working home (currently living/working in Isle of Man). However I’m not sure how I can go about it and would be helpful if you can help with ideas.
My background is in accountancy and I’m a Chartered accountant and also I’m knowledgeable in UK tax. My day to day job is mainly dealing with accounting and tax matters for companies with minimum financial advice to individuals/ retail.

I’m passionate about investments and being an IFA. I have self-studied MSc in Finance, qualified as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and I passed the CISI diploma with Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (ie Chartered Wealth Manager) – all done in the past 5 years with the desire to move into investment advisory /IFA business.
Could someone please advise how I can work online supporting IFAs or perhaps get started with my own evening IFA business for a start?.

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Broadex wrote: »
    I’m thinking of running an evening IFA business from home just to horn my skills or being employed part-time working home (currently living/working in Isle of Man). However I’m not sure how I can go about it and would be helpful if you can help with ideas.
    My background is that I’m a Chartered accountant and I’m knowledgeable on UK tax. My day to day is mainly dealing with accounting and tax matters for companies with minimum financial advice to individuals/ retail.

I’m passionate about investments and being an IFA. I have self-studied MSc in Finance, qualified as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and I passed the CISI diploma with Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (ie Chartered Wealth Manager) – all done in the past 5 years with the desire to move into investment advisory /IFA business.
    Could someone please advice how I can work online supporting IFAs or perhaps get started with my own evening IFA business for a start?.

Are you a Nigerian prince?
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2016 at 8:40PM
    Does not exactly inspire confidence in the advice the person might provide either does it. Nigerian or otherwise.

Is this post for real?

Maybe dunston might like to comment. His are at least real!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well if you have the qualifications you presumably need to notify and be accepted by the regulator, get some PI cover and build up your business.

As dunstonh has said before the advice market, certainly for smaller ifa businesses, is shrinking or more correctly not expanding with less demand from new customers.

I don't think it's the sort of business you do as a hobby in the evenings anyway.
  • I thought the bit about "horning his skills" sounded a bit dodgy, but funny nevertheless.

Come on dunstonh, let's have your take on this.

And I'm not too sure if he is Nigerian, sounds a tad bit racist to me!

Cheers fj
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought the bit about "horning his skills" sounded a bit dodgy, but funny nevertheless.

Come on dunstonh, let's have your take on this.

And I'm not too sure if he is Nigerian, sounds a tad bit racist to me!

Cheers fj

So, you have never had an e-mail from a Nigerian needing your help to transfer £20million out of his country. Your spam filter must be really good!
  • Sorry - posted this in a hurry. Anyway thanks for the advice.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Broadex wrote: »
    thanks for the advice
    It may seem pedantic but in the strict financial services terminology that you'll need to get used to, advice is a regulated activity carried out by those qualified to do so and often involving money changing hands. The posts above may involve some woolier guidance in amongst more general banter, but no advice as such!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 September 2016 at 4:09PM
    Pincher wrote: »
    So, you have never had an e-mail from a Nigerian needing your help to transfer £20million out of his country. Your spam filter must be really good!

I haven't. Now I'm feeling not only neglected, but also discriminated against :rotfl:

eskbanker wrote: »
    It may seem pedantic but in the strict financial services terminology that you'll need to get used to, advice is a regulated activity carried out by those qualified to do so and often involving money changing hands. The posts above may involve some woolier guidance in amongst more general banter, but no advice as such!

Mine wasn't guidance - it was a suggestion
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    How are you going to attract customers? i.e. why would anyone pay you for your advice as you would have no track record and presumably, as you say part-time/evening, you'd be working as a self-employed and have no company name behind you either?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure