Temporary car insurance - inherited car

Would welcome advice please, as I think I may be on the wrong track.
My dad died last month, leaving everything to my sister and me. Probate won't complete till the end of this month - in the meantime we've re-taxed and MOTed his car as they ran out (and we were operating on autopilot and it was just one of the jobs on the list!), his insurance company extended cover for a month but that ran out this week, and we've realised the car is now uninsured, which is illegal given it's taxed rather than declared SORN.
I've just started to look at temporary insurance cover so I can bring the car back to my house to sell it, but it seems very expensive and many of the questions don't seem to apply (they seem more relevant to insuring someone elses's car). Should I just be getting a normal policy and looking to cancel it once the car sells?

Comments

• Theres companies that will move cars for you. local journey was £60 for about 15 miles. Must be cheaper ones. Or can you be towed as I thought that was always covered on the towers insurance ( don't take my word for it though, please check! )
  • Apparently the towing insurance only works if you own both cars :-/
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Apparently the towing insurance only works if you own both cars :-/

And probably only in an emergency where one has broken down. Preferably the one behind.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd explain the situation to your current insurer and see if there is any way of adding it to your current policy.

It might be worth contacting a few of these car buying companies. At least one of them comes to you/whereever the car is. I know you'll get less for it, but you'll be saved a load of hassle, plus the insurance and advertising costs.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    You can buy insurance for one day for £30 - just do that.

Sorry for your loss BTW.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Buy a normal policy, cancel within two weeks for a full pro-rata refund. MUCH cheaper than a short-term policy.
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    Buy a normal policy, cancel within two weeks for a full pro-rata refund. MUCH cheaper than a short-term policy.
    A pro-rata refund minus an administration fee that may be charged by the insurance company to cover their costs in setting up the policy.
    Seeing as some insurers charge £50+ for this admin fee and most others are normally around the £30 mark, it may be cheaper to stick to the short term policy.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    A pro-rata refund minus an administration fee that may be charged by the insurance company to cover their costs in setting up the policy.
    Seeing as some insurers charge £50+ for this admin fee and most others are normally around the £30 mark, it may be cheaper to stick to the short term policy.
    Not within the 14-day cooling off period, they can't.
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    Not within the 14-day cooling off period, they can't.
    Yes they can.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/2095/regulation/13/made
    (6) Subject to paragraphs (7), (8) and (9), the supplier may make a charge for any service actually provided by the supplier in accordance with the contract.
    (7) The charge shall not exceed an amount which is in proportion to the extent of the service provided to the consumer prior to the time at which the cancellation event occurred (including the service of arranging to provide the financial service) in comparison with the full coverage of the contract, and in any event shall not be such that it could be construed as a penalty.

And from the financial ombudsman:
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/cancelling-renewing-car-insurance-case-studies.html
    If someone cancels their policy during the “cooling-off” period, there may still be a fee to cover the insurer’s administration costs. This isn’t necessarily unfair. But we’ll check that the insurer made their fees clear – and that the fee is proportionate to the service they’ve provided.
  • Thank you all for your help.

My car insurance can't insure it as the car is still in dad's name (which has made me wonder if we are illegal after all as surely someone who is deceased can't break the law?). The one-day cover will only work if I sell the car instantly - I guess I need at least a week - so will investigate a bit further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure