Cheapest Brown Bread?

Options
2»

Comments

• KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Good bread may not always be cheap bread and vice versa. Been recently buying Co Op own brand wholemeal rolls. Six in a pack. Still as fresh two days after they are supposed to go off.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Most bread here is binned after 2 days at most,good bread seems to be the hardest thing to find now I really miss the local bakers that everyone had near by but are long gone now.

Think you may have misunderstood my answer about Sainsbury's bread.

Their bead goes dry and stale very quickly even whilst in date.

Whilst I find Aldi and Lidl bread last a lot longer.

If you are throwing out bread after 2 days, your are either very picky or not storing it right.

I agree about bakery's. Where I lived we had 3 independent bakeries within a 10 minutes walkaround us, who made the bread from scratch on site All gone now. Do unfortunately only have the 'tanning' bakeries like supermarkets and Gregg's around me now,
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At MrT, yeast is free.
    Just ask for some.
    Buy MrT's basic/brown/wholemeal/white bread flour: 1.5kg bags cost 85p.
    #
    The exercise of hands and fingers, plus the cathartic effect of working your dough is brilliant for mind and soul and supple joints.

Put 300gms flour, nut of lard, 1 tsp salt, an ounce[25gms] of yeast in a large bowl. [I double this for 2 loaves, to last me ages.]

Crumble and rub everything together, lifting it high through your fingers.

Add warm water, approx. 125ml, to bring to a soft dough, then work it with your hands.

Stretch and pull and work the dough around until it is elastic and comes clean from your hands. [you very quickly and instinctively recognise the 'right' stage,]

Leave your dough to rise to twice its size,[perhaps an hour. depending on ambient temperature] It becomes softly puffy and spongy.

Now you knock it back down on the bench or table, with a bit of flour to prevent sticking, working and kneading and pulling it about, then into a rolled shape.

Pop it in a thickly larded tin on the middle rack of a hot oven, gas mark 8. and brush an egg/salt wash over the top for crustiness. Milk or cream or sesame paste or brine all give interesting finishes.

Bake 25-35 mins. Use your own judgment.

Tap tin briskly on base and sides and your loaf should leave the tin cleanly.

It will souns hollow if you knock the base with your knuckles. There is never any harm done if it has to go back in the tin to bake a bit more.

Lay your baked loaf on its side for a moment or two in the declining heat - oven now switched off - if you want a drier all-round crust.

Slice and freeze your own beautful, easy, CHEAP bread. It lasts wonderfully, makes the best toast from frozen.
    ###
    It's easy, gratifying, economical and way better than anything supermakety.

Experiment - add seeds, ends of cheese, odds of dried fruit, grated onion and herby bits......play with ideas and leftovers.
    ###
    This may not be an expected answer to your question, but I hope you or someone who reads here gives it a try. Easy peasy and so satisfying and delicious.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make your own Irish Wholemeal Soda Bread. No yeast required, knocked together in a jiffy. GAWJUS!

This is such a simple recipe, and the smell of it cooking is amazing. Even nicer is spreading a huge dollop of REAL butter on a slice or three.

https://www.foodsofathenry.ie/recipes/item/the-best-soda-bread-ever
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    In terms of sliced bread I find Waitrose / M&S 45p loaves and Co-op 75p to be the nicest.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Think you may have misunderstood my answer about Sainsbury's bread.

Their bead goes dry and stale very quickly even whilst in date.

Whilst I find Aldi and Lidl bread last a lot longer.

If you are throwing out bread after 2 days, your are either very picky or not storing it right.

I agree about bakery's. Where I lived we had 3 independent bakeries within a 10 minutes walkaround us, who made the bread from scratch on site All gone now. Do unfortunately only have the 'tanning' bakeries like supermarkets and Gregg's around me now,

I'm very picky.
  • Roxy07
    Roxy07 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    At MrT, yeast is free.
    Just ask for some.
    Buy MrT's basic/brown/wholemeal/white bread flour: 1.5kg bags cost 85p.
    #
    The exercise of hands and fingers, plus the cathartic effect of working your dough is brilliant for mind and soul and supple joints.

Put 300gms flour, nut of lard, 1 tsp salt, an ounce[25gms] of yeast in a large bowl. [I double this for 2 loaves, to last me ages.]

Crumble and rub everything together, lifting it high through your fingers.

Add warm water, approx. 125ml, to bring to a soft dough, then work it with your hands.

Stretch and pull and work the dough around until it is elastic and comes clean from your hands. [you very quickly and instinctively recognise the 'right' stage,]

Leave your dough to rise to twice its size,[perhaps an hour. depending on ambient temperature] It becomes softly puffy and spongy.

Now you knock it back down on the bench or table, with a bit of flour to prevent sticking, working and kneading and pulling it about, then into a rolled shape.

Pop it in a thickly larded tin on the middle rack of a hot oven, gas mark 8. and brush an egg/salt wash over the top for crustiness. Milk or cream or sesame paste or brine all give interesting finishes.

Bake 25-35 mins. Use your own judgment.

Tap tin briskly on base and sides and your loaf should leave the tin cleanly.

It will souns hollow if you knock the base with your knuckles. There is never any harm done if it has to go back in the tin to bake a bit more.

Lay your baked loaf on its side for a moment or two in the declining heat - oven now switched off - if you want a drier all-round crust.

Slice and freeze your own beautful, easy, CHEAP bread. It lasts wonderfully, makes the best toast from frozen.
    ###
    It's easy, gratifying, economical and way better than anything supermakety.

Experiment - add seeds, ends of cheese, odds of dried fruit, grated onion and herby bits......play with ideas and leftovers.
    ###
    This may not be an expected answer to your question, but I hope you or someone who reads here gives it a try. Easy peasy and so satisfying and delicious.

Thanks for that. But I'm on Slimming World and it's too much of a risk to make my own bread currently (very easy to get wrong). I will try this once I reach target tho !
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments but if you have a lidl nearby I heartedly recommend Rowan Hill bread, 45p a loaf at my local and it is awesome, never stale and when I buy it every day it still has 5-7 days shelf life, much better than spending 9p less and ending up with a stale brick :p
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ASDA Smart Price bread is horrible stuff, it's even rock solid when it's still fresh on the shelf. Only good for toast.

Morrisons 50p 800g bread is good stuff and stays soft for ages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure