Official MSE Free Solar Panel guide discussion

Options

Comments

• newbie8
    newbie8 Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anyone able to point me right direction in finding a reliable source to fit? Are there any companies that are known for fitting solar panels?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    newbie8 wrote: »
    anyone able to point me right direction in finding a reliable source to fit? Are there any companies that are known for fitting solar panels?

With the long overdue reduction in subsidy(FIT) most of the solar installation firms have moved on to pastures new, and those still in business are likely to follow. The standard modus Operandi is to dissolve the company and thus absolve themselves(in practice) of any responsibility for honouring any guarantee or repairs.

If you do want to go ahead I suggest you try some of the big energy firms like BGas, Eon etc to see if they run schemes themselves by getting the work sub-contracted.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We also have free solar panels from this company and are completely happy with them. Estimate the saving is approx. 40% based on actual usage.

I am sure there is a clause in the agreement with this company that if they either break a tile or merely find any already broken when they first get on to the roof, they replace them free of charge. They did two of ours, which they said were already broken but they showed us the broken tiles and the new ones were clear to see, being a different colour to the old ones. Mike, the Customer Relations Manager at A Shade Greener is really helpful. More info if you PM me as I am not about to be accused of advertising on this forum. Hope this helps.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Estimate the saving is approx. 40% based on actual usage.

40% of what exactly?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    40% less electricity drawn from the grid ergo 40% less to pay for.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    40% less electricity drawn from the grid ergo 40% less to pay for.

That didn't really answer the question! 40% saving of ???

If you were using 1,000kWh a year, 40% saving is 400kWh.

If you were using 10,000kWh a year, 40% saving is 4,000kWh.
  • karenr3243
    Options
    Hi, I am hoping someone could help me with my query?
    Helms (glasgow) installed our Solar Panels via a loan from Shawbrook Finance. We were completely mis-sold these panels as we were told the money received every month from the panels would more than cover the monthly d/d from Shawbrook.
    As you can guess, it no-where near covers the d/d and we are out money that we cannot afford every month. Helms is now in liquidation and we have no-where to go with this.
    We cannot keep paying the d/d and wonder how we would go about trying to get this cancelled or a resolution, without using one of these no win no fee companies?
    Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 July 2016 at 12:47PM
    Options
    karenr3243 wrote: »
    Helms (glasgow) installed our Solar Panels via a loan from Shawbrook Finance. We were completely mis-sold these panels as we were told the money received every month from the panels would more than cover the monthly d/d from Shawbrook.
    As you can guess, it no-where near covers the d/d and we are out money that we cannot afford every month. Helms is now in liquidation and we have no-where to go with this.
    We cannot keep paying the d/d and wonder how we would go about trying to get this cancelled or a resolution, without using one of these no win no fee companies?

Hi - welcome to the forum. Sadly, you are not the first and I suspect not the last to make this sort of complaint. With the present FIT rate, and interest payments on a loan, it is possible that you might never break even.

You need to look very carefully at the agreements that you have signed as this is the basis of your contract. If you want advice on your rights then take all the paperwork to Citizens' Advice.

PS: I should have added that whatever you do DO NOT stop making payments to the lender: take advice first. Your loan contract is separate from the one that you signed with the PV Solar seller.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options

Mis-sold or mis-purchased?
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Just did a google of helms glasgow and this was the first item that popped up
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/judge-customers-left-misleading-credit-7770294

Whilst I am not a lawyer, I would say you have entered a contract which you must abide by.
    If you are struggling to pay it, then seek debt counselling before you too "go into liquidation"

You may wish to seek independent legal advice about the accusations you make regarding misselling. However, if you do, do be upfront with the fact the supplier is in liquidation. The outcome may be that such a fight will not be worth the effort, but your legal adviser will be better positioned to advise.

Edit: Further complicated by the fact this was a Scottish business, and Scottish laws apply
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback