Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?

Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?It looks like I need a prescription in which case I'm better off buying it from the vet anyway.

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nowhere legally, it's a POM (prescription-only medication) hence the need for a prescription.

You could either source from a company that evades regulation (e.g. operating abroad) and run the risk of other dodgy practices (counterfeits, out of date products, etc.), or you could look to source an alternative non-POM medication that will do the job. Advantage, for example, is similar to Advocate, though doesn't cover lungworm.

Have you asked your vet what their prescription charge is? They may be able to prescribe several months at a time and still make the savings worthwhile. The RCVS does not state a maximum prescription charge for vets, but state it must be "reasonable" (i.e. not made so high it stops people getting prescriptions). If your local vet seem pricey, you could ask around other vets locally.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As above.

Ask how much your vet charges for a prescription, make a note of the prices beforehand and then work out if it's cheaper to buy online with the prescription fee/possible cashback or directly from the vet.
  • ozlem
    ozlem Posts: 37 Forumite
    sounds like I am better off sticking with the vet. They charge £10 for prescription. My cat is a stray cat so I prefer best products with reasonable prices:-)
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Geta prescription from the vet for 6 months supply - order from a reputabe pet pharmacy like:

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk

https://www.vetuk.co.uk

It will be much cheaper
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like your vet is like ours - the price to write a prescription (if you don't want to have them fill it) is exactly enough to make prescription plus online drug cost = cost of the drug from the vet. :mad:
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mine charges £12 for a prescription but if I remember rightly, charged about £48 for the Advocate I want when I could buy for around £20 online. Still worked out cheaper £30 v £48.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh for the days when online prescriptions were free.

The idea was to help online businesses build up their customer base, but the way that vets are constantly increasing script charges it will soon be of no advantage to buy online and the businesses will be back to square one. (Our vet now charges a high fee for the first, compared with the post-freebie one, then slightly less for subsequent ones, for the same treatment).
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Then don't buy prescription only flea/worming treatment. Nothing wrong with the old tried and tested drugs that are available online very cheaply.

I own a 45kg GSD and my annual bill for flea/tick/worm treatment is approx £25 which I believe is what some vets charge just to write out a prescription!
  • ozlem
    Mine charges £12 for a prescription but if I remember rightly, charged about £48 for the Advocate I want when I could buy for around £20 online. Still worked out cheaper £30 v £48.

I cannot find £20 one online? how many treats?
  • ozlem
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Then don't buy prescription only flea/worming treatment. Nothing wrong with the old tried and tested drugs that are available online very cheaply.

I own a 45kg GSD and my annual bill for flea/tick/worm treatment is approx £25 which I believe is what some vets charge just to write out a prescription!

Well as it's a stray cat I want him to have the best treatment as he is out a lot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback