Been told don't have any hours at work week after next.

Options
I have been told I might not have hours the week after next. I asked my manager if I was going to get fired and he wouldn't answer. What do I do? And if they give me work I would like them to fire me, how can I get fired and not be forced to resign? I am on a zero hours contract, how do I play this? If I am not fired I won't be eligible for benefits and can't sue them (if that's even possible). Worked there 4 and half years. They fire and re-hire everyone each New Year.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They don't need to fire you - far easier to just not give you any hours.

I would ask though why your immediate presumption is that you're being fired, when mine might have been that they're short of hours that particular week.
    How many hours do you usually do, have there been any concerns about your work performance, and did you ask your manager why you had no hours that week?

ETA - you do know that being fired may also affect benefits?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • purpleroad
    purpleroad Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Yes he said in his opinion I haven't been performing as well as other employees so he doesn't know if he can give me hours the week after next. I think a lower performance enables you to sign on. It isn't gross misconduct. Can I ask to have my work terminated? 'Why is it easier to just not give me work? Why not just fire me or give me some hours? I have to survive!
  • purpleroad
    Options
    He is also thinking of bringing in some new employees who he thinks are more capable.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    If you are on a zero hours contract and have less than 16 hours work then you can sign on.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • makemesumdosh
    Options
    Why don't you and your workmates join a union.

Sports Direct have a huge distribution centre in Derbyshire where the majority of staff are on zero hours contracts.

Unite the union have been targeting this company and its been on the national news/local & national press about how badly they treat zero hours workers.
    When staff stand up to management as one voice collectively you are stronger.
  • purpleroad
    Options
    In a union. Will ask them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But remember what was said about being able to sign on if less than 16 hours work given. I know its not ideal.
  • purpleroad
    Options
    if there are 2 hours or 3 but it is £16/hr is it still work signing on or going on tax credits?
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure it's the number of hours worked and a low income that might entitle someone to WTC.

You have been incredibly fortunate to be able to purchase a Flat this year given that for the last 4.5 years you've been on a Zero hour contract...:silenced:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure