Esa & pensions

Options
Hi I dont know if im on the right thread here but here goes.
Question: my OH has recently gone onto ESA as he has alzheimers, I have now found out that I can draw down on a small pension soon, it will be over the 6,000 savings allowed. Obviously if I take it I will inform DWP but once the money has been used/spent will he be able to claim ESA again or do they decide how much that money should last for. I want to use the money to fulfil a bucket list he has and to make memories for him in the form of photos etc for him to have something to look at later on.
thank you

Comments

• bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    Question: my OH has recently gone onto ESA as he has alzheimers, I have now found out that I can draw down on a small pension soon, it will be over the 6,000 savings allowed. Obviously if I take it I will inform DWP but once the money has been used/spent will he be able to claim ESA again or do they decide how much that money should last for. I want to use the money to fulfil a bucket list he has and to make memories for him in the form of photos etc for him to have something to look at later on.
    thank you

Do you know if it's income or contributions based?

Also the cut off for income based is £16,000.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As this is a lump sum, rather than a pension paying weekly/monthly, it will be treated as capital. Once savings exceed £6000, entitlement to Income Related benefit, is reduced by £1 for every £250 over £6000. For example, savings of £6999 would result in entitlement being reduced by £4 per week. If the savings exceed £16,000 entitlement to Income Related benefit will cease completely.
    Roughly how much are you planning to draw down, if we may ask? It may be helpful to know in order to give more detailed advice.
  • campervan33
    Options
    Thanks for answering both. esa the one you only get for 365 days, we are waiting on a work capability assessment but his az will stop him from working. ive been told that currently the pension could pay out 15,000
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for answering both. esa the one you only get for 365 days

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5442290 may be of interest.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Thanks for answering both. esa the one you only get for 365 days, we are waiting on a work capability assessment but his az will stop him from working. ive been told that currently the pension could pay out 15,000
    If his assessement puts him into the support group then his money will continue beyond the 365 days and remain contribution based which means the pension would have no impact at all.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • campervan33
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry for this late reply, dont have access to a pc very often. can I ask he still hasnt had an assessment and I could get the lump sum before this happens so where would I stand then, Im torn as to whether I should take it or not, however as his illness has progressed to quickly this last yr i want to make sure that he has as many happy times as possible now whilst he can still enjoy them.
    My gut tells me to just take the lump sum as soon as I can and get on with plans for him this summer. So my question is if i take the money before his assessment and then he gets put into the other esa category where the lump sum wont be counted would they allow him to go back onto esa, sorry if this reads convoluted i just find it all very confusing. My hope is that they wont expect him to look for work in his condition.
    Thank you
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your OH is on contribution based ESA then the money will not make any difference to his claim - so you can spend it as you like.

Can you look at his award letter and see if it is contribution based or not?

Are you working? (This would give us a clue)
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you

You are the type of people that the benefit system was meant for.

Can't offer any advice re questions just wanted to wish you both good luck and hope you get the answers you need.

xxx
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry for this late reply, dont have access to a pc very often. can I ask he still hasnt had an assessment and I could get the lump sum before this happens so where would I stand then, Im torn as to whether I should take it or not, however as his illness has progressed to quickly this last yr i want to make sure that he has as many happy times as possible now whilst he can still enjoy them.
    My gut tells me to just take the lump sum as soon as I can and get on with plans for him this summer. So my question is if i take the money before his assessment and then he gets put into the other esa category where the lump sum wont be counted would they allow him to go back onto esa, sorry if this reads convoluted i just find it all very confusing. My hope is that they wont expect him to look for work in his condition.
    Thank you

Yes if the year has passed and he was no longer getting ESA then if he were to be assessed for the support group his money would restart with a back payment to week 14 of the claim. This is only when the claim is continuous.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport