PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any tips on how to stand out when house hunting?

Options
Well if I wasn't losing faith in the thread I posted a while ago, here I go again! Although I am trying to channel frustrations and feeling disheartened into being determined to fight this house battle!!

We're trying to think of ways to stand out from the crowd in our house hunt because at the moment all that's happening is we're being crowded into open days to view properties with loads of other people, you never meet the owners so there's no personality to it, the estate agents couldn't give two hoots who you are despite trying to give them any of our 'story' and then we just get outbid on places and start all over again.

So how can we be different?! We're thinking of leafleting in roads we like etc but that seems a bit of a gamble and low chances.

Other than that just putting together a pack to present to the estate agent/homeowner when we offer on a property to try and put a face to the figure, give a bit of bio and show we're financially worthy!!

I mean we're nice people! But this market is cruel

Comments

• jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Options
    Most sellers will just want the highest price possible in a busy market. The difference can be thousands of pounds and people are unlikely to forfeit that sort of cash just because they like someone.

Try looking at slightly cheaper houses, so you are in a position to outbid those with less money than you.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Rose46
    Rose46 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I know what you're saying and if there were cheaper houses or maisonettes to look at we would! But not much is coming up for much less than our max budget and even at that we're still compromising on a lot so its tricky
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Options
    It's a tough market in some places! Good luck.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure all your finances are in place, you have a mortgage in principle so you can prove it too estate agents but yeah ultimately you will need to be the highest bidder...

The last house I bought about a year ago after sealed bids I was slightly lower than the highest bidder but the sellers were desperate to buy another property, as I was a cash buyer with no mortgage and ready to go as soon as they needed they chose me over the highest bidder, never found out how much more they offered but doubt it was much more than £500.

Feel for you as its really tough, the only practical advice I would say is hold out till after April, at the start of the new tax year second home owners and BTL owners will have to pay an extra 3% SDLT so at the moment anyone thinking about buying is desperately trying to find somewhere to complete before April to avoid the extra tax... There are often more properties that come to the market in the spring time, try buying a fixer upper, for mortgage purposes will need to have a bathroom kitchen etc and be in a livable state, I know things like an avacado bathroom suite are not great but as long as its functional you can always change it over time, this will also add value.
  • Rose46
    Rose46 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Make sure all your finances are in place, you have a mortgage in principle so you can prove it too estate agents but yeah ultimately you will need to be the highest bidder...

The last house I bought about a year ago after sealed bids I was slightly lower than the highest bidder but the sellers were desperate to buy another property, as I was a cash buyer with no mortgage and ready to go as soon as they needed they chose me over the highest bidder, never found out how much more they offered but doubt it was much more than £500.

Feel for you as its really tough, the only practical advice I would say is hold out till after April, at the start of the new tax year second home owners and BTL owners will have to pay an extra 3% SDLT so at the moment anyone thinking about buying is desperately trying to find somewhere to complete before April to avoid the extra tax... There are often more properties that come to the market in the spring time, try buying a fixer upper, for mortgage purposes will need to have a bathroom kitchen etc and be in a livable state, I know things like an avacado bathroom suite are not great but as long as its functional you can always change it over time, this will also add value.

I love avocado! hehe

Hard to hear wait til April cos e've already been looking or so long, feels like the goal posts are being moved further away all the time not closer... but I know you're probably right so thanks for the sympathy and also advice!

There is definitely more coming on the market but it's still the case of low supply high demand and yet we are in a good position, we have all the things you say, AIP, good deposit and proof of it (bloody hard earnt savings!!), no chain. We've sorted out our solicitor, a broker just in case, looked a local surveyors etc, thought we might as well whilst it's been quiet. So we are literally ready to go!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Want to stand out

More money and higher offers.

You won't have to wait for April the window to close deals will close sooner. Probably end Feb/March, be on the lookout for those that pullout when they realise they can't hit the deadline.(actually start now for relisted property).
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Unfortunately the only thing that gets heard in this day and age is money. People wont lose thousands just because they like you, it's just the way things are.

Best of luck
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Make sure you can proceed, i.e have a mortgage broker/DIP and solicitors and surveyors lined up.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the fact that you are finding...
    the estate agents couldn't give two hoots who you are despite trying to give them any of our 'story'
    is part of the problem and, if you recognise this, you may do better.

Why should the agent care, in a fast-moving market? Sure, in a quiet rural area, matching vendor and buyer helps the agent sell a house, and that's commission in the pocket, which is really what they care about. But, in a market where houses just sell fast after open days for more than the asking price, why would an agent want to (paraphrase coming up, in agent's mind) waste valuable selling time listening to just another bod prattling on....

If the market is sharp, turn up clear in your mind what property you want. Have finance in place. Be clear and committed, never woolly. Just state what you want, that you'll move fast and efficient. Maybe initially imply you'll take their recommendations as to solicitor, and even see their financial advisor after you've got toe in the door (which will earn them added commission). Just don't do it in the end, source your own.

But, at the end of it all, if you keep being outbid, none of that will help. You'll either need to look at cheaper property, or look in other areas. Almost nobody will accept less for a property based on the likeability of their potential buyer.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Almost nobody will accept less for a property based on the likeability of their potential buyer.
    I did once turn down the offer of a Chinese gentleman, partly because of the way he treated his wife and daughter whilst viewing.

Mind you, the fact he wanted us out of the house and into rented, pronto, also played its part.....as did his offer of 10% below asking in a (then) very hot market.

If only I'd seen Northern Rock and all that was to follow, coming around the corner with our next buyers' lie-to-buy mortgage. :(

Now, I'd sell to Vladimir Putin, so long as he had the readies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure