MSE News: Sky cancellation complaints trigger Ofcom probe

Options
Sky is being investigated by the communications regulator after complaints customers are unable to cancel contracts...
Read the full story:

Sky cancellation complaints trigger Ofcom probe

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its easy enough for them to let me add stuff to my package on the internet or via the Box

should be the same the other way , I should be able to log on to my account and cancel , then they warn me if any part in in "in contract" and the fees , then they generate the end of service date

I've got no objection to them emailing me offers before the end of that to try and retain me but not to have to endure ages of point blank refusal to allow me to just cancel without a discussion
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2015 at 3:35PM
    Options
    OFCOM should provide on their website a dedicated email address for each company to cancel a contract. companies should not be allowed to only allow you to cancel by calling them.

I presume the address is:
    Sky Subscriber Services Ltd
    PO Box 43
    Livingston
    West Lothian
    EH54 7DD

What is the sky email address to cancel?

sky
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I've got no objection to them emailing me offers before the end of that to try and retain me but not to have to endure ages of point blank refusal to allow me to just cancel without a discussion

Agree, that is what they should do.

It took me 85 minutes to cancel my last contract with them.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as cancelling a contract is concerned, I now personally use the online Chat facility as far as possible. This includes amongst others, insurance companies (just cancelled my previous car insurance policy this way and it's so much easier), because you have real time dialogue and you can have a copy of the transcript at the end of the Chat, which is extremely useful if the company attempts to claim at a later date that they knew nothing of your intention to cancel. I certainly no longer bother having diaglogue on the telephone because I just can't be bothered arguing with some sales/retention advisor nor having to explain why I don't want to be a customer any longer. It is as far a I'm concerned, none of their business.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They (OFCOM) need to add Plusnet to the list too. Lots of complaints after the recent price rise, where Plusnet insist that you phone them to let them know you are going to leave due to the price rise and the retention of all the prepaid line rental when you leave.
  • Casperthefriendlyghost
    Options
    I recently cancelled my SKY subscription with no problems at all after a mere 12 minutes on the phone to SKY.

They were really keen to keep my business as I've been a customer for 12 years, offering me various options, but I explained that I really need to cancel as I no longer watch TV as I'm not at home much and am barely around long enough to switch the TV on, never mind actually watch anything. They cancelled it immediately, told me I have one more part payment and I received a letter from SKY two days later with the termination notice and details so I am happy with the way they handled it.

CTFG
    xx
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only time I had any hassle was the first time, probably 15 years ago: he sounded like I was stealing his Digibox and anything I said was a lie and excuse. After that, I must have cancelled at least four times, looking at my collection of Digiboxes and Sky+HD.

I like the Sky program guide, and prefer to use it than the Freeview one on the TV. So, cancel away, and collect more Sky+HD boxes for FreeSat. You do need more LNB feeds, of course.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I find cancelling sky one of the more pleasant experiences. Get though to the UK call centre and you can have a bit of a craic with them and get a better deal (had 2 years of 75% off and a family HD for under £10 deal). This year it was a foreign type who just wanted to read from a script so just cancelled, and now gone to BT. Plusnet on the other hand whilst can't fault their service, their Yorkshire CS were right grumpy gits.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there a sky email address to cancel?
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    As far as cancelling a contract is concerned, I now personally use the online Chat facility as far as possible. This includes amongst others, insurance companies (just cancelled my previous car insurance policy this way and it's so much easier), because you have real time dialogue and you can have a copy of the transcript at the end of the Chat, which is extremely useful if the company attempts to claim at a later date that they knew nothing of your intention to cancel. I certainly no longer bother having diaglogue on the telephone because I just can't be bothered arguing with some sales/retention advisor nor having to explain why I don't want to be a customer any longer. It is as far a I'm concerned, none of their business.

If only that were possible. :cool: I have been waiting for an "advisor" in their cancellations live chat for hours on several occasions now to cancel my internet with them but unsurprisingly all their agents are busy.. constantly. How convenient eh.

I could of course just pick up the phone but I just know that the chances of hearing "no problem Mr. Snooze, that has been done for you, thank you for calling, good day" are absolutely zero. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure