NowTV box & Entertainment Pass

Options
I bought the NowTV box for £9.99 (half price) in Argos with a 3 months entertainment pass included. I did not intend to keep subscribing after the 3 months @ £6.99 a month, so I knew I had to cancel the pass before the 3 months ended but if you cancel early, you lose the rest of the period of the pass - so best to cancel the direct debit near the end of the 3 months.

Unfortunately, they had two website addresses to register an account, one for those who have a pass, one for those that don't. I saw the one for those that don't first and used it and all sorts of problems ensued making my pass operative. The website accepted the code but I could not use the pass, and after several e-mail exchanges, I had to re-register the pass - then it worked. I suggested they only supply one website address - the one appropriate to what you are buying. No comment from them.

I was offered a free one day sports pass for the hassle I encountered but it did not arrive.

I asked why the flimsy booklet did not contain any instructions on using the remote, the symbols on it and on-screen and how to use the box. Again, no comment.

They claim you get 13 channels with the pass but I cannot. I can only get programmes selected by NowTV. This may be due to incorrect negotiation on my part due to lack of instructions on how to use the box. But I don't think so. I believe this is a mis-representation by NowTV. The claim is false - you only get programmes from the 13 channels selected by NowTV - not by you.

I really bought it as a cheap way to access catch-up TV wirelessly, as with a 5 metre Ethernet cable from my router to my TV, I could only get a very poor BBCiPlayer reception. Now I have BBC Sport, ITVPlayer, Channels 4 & 5 catch up, and other apps.

Hope this helps anyone who has a box or intends to buy one. I would be interested in any experiences anyone has had.

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ... I knew I had to cancel the pass before the 3 months ended but if you cancel early, you lose the rest of the period of the pass - so best to cancel the direct debit near the end of the 3 months.
    If so, that's a change. When I cancelled it ran to the end of the period covered by the pass.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    If so, that's a change. When I cancelled it ran to the end of the period covered by the pass.

Me too. I had 3 months free when I bought a Chromecast.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They claim you get 13 channels with the pass but I cannot. I can only get programmes selected by NowTV. This may be due to incorrect negotiation on my part due to lack of instructions on how to use the box. But I don't think so. I believe this is a mis-representation by NowTV. The claim is false - you only get programmes from the 13 channels selected by NowTV - not by you.
    They claim you get 13 channels, and you get... 13 channels. What's the problem with that?

If you want a box that is completely open, then buy a Roku (which is what the NowTV box is under the skin).

I really bought it as a cheap way to access catch-up TV wirelessly, as with a 5 metre Ethernet cable from my router to my TV, I could only get a very poor BBCiPlayer reception.
    There should be no degradation on Ethernet over a 5m run. Maybe your cable was faulty/damaged?

I have a 7m Ethernet cable run and it has worked perfectly from the outset.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What channels do you think you are 'missing'?
    I have the Now TV box with the extra entertainment channels, and had no trouble registering. I get the 13 extra channels that are listed here:

http://www.nowtv.com/entertainment
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    I asked why the flimsy booklet did not contain any instructions on using the remote, the symbols on it and on-screen and how to use the box. Again, no comment.

Is this a serious complaint?

Did you really need instructions for about the 5 buttons you have on a NowTV remote that are clearly labeled as to what their functions are?

And you word your complaint to sound that you're intelligent and they aren't and have missed something. But in reality that's so much further from the truth it's laughable!
  • calmacuk
    calmacuk Posts: 114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

NowTv offers both the catch up/on demand content and the live channels. The 13 channels are in the 'Live TV' section of the menu.
  • samanthaknd
    samanthaknd Posts: 702 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my now tv box in may and i cancelled on the now tv website as I had to reg my bank details.
    This is what it says (i still have my subscription until end date)

Entertainment Month Pass
    Your Entertainment Month Pass has been cancelled

You will not be charged again

You can keep watching until 20 August 2015

Offer was: £0 a month for 3 months

Restart Pass Apply a voucher
    Share your love of NOW TV and we’ll give you a tenner for everyone who signs up.
    Need to get rid of my Yankee Candle Habit, Not very money saving of me :)
  • marlot
    Options
    I bought my now tv box in may and i cancelled on the now tv website as I had to reg my bank details.
    This is what it says (i still have my subscription until end date)

Entertainment Month Pass
    Your Entertainment Month Pass has been cancelled

You will not be charged again

You can keep watching until 20 August 2015

Offer was: £0 a month for 3 months

Restart Pass Apply a voucher
    Share your love of NOW TV and we’ll give you a tenner for everyone who signs up.
    The language that Sky use isn't helpful (it would be better to say "We've cancelled the monthly charge, rather than "your pass has been cancelled"), but as you say, you get the full life of the voucher.
  • marlot
    Options
    "if you cancel early, you lose the rest of the period of the pass" Not true.

"two website addresses " don't know anything about this.

"I was offered a free one day sports pass for the hassle I encountered but it did not arrive." have you checked your account?

"I asked why the flimsy booklet did not contain any instructions on using the remote, the symbols on it and on-screen and how to use the box. Again, no comment." Nobody in my household needed any instructions beyond the booklet

"They claim you get 13 channels with the pass but I cannot. " Check the 'live tv' section.

"Hope this helps anyone who has a box or intends to buy one." Not really.

Sorry if my comments seem harsh - but your experience is so completely different to anyone else I know.
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    I bought one for my husband which came with the three months entertainment pass and a month's movies pass. Beats paying Sky the multiroom subscription anyway. Everyone in our house can work out the remote - it's really not that hard. And I have a three, almost four year old, who managed to put The Lion King on yesterday. We are quite happy with it - the Vevo channel is great for just choosing your own music and chilling out, as is Youtube (which I can program from my phone instead of taking forever to type it out). Though it does have a webcam channel which seems a bit pointless, but hey.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport