🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I buy food at a friend's party?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

A friend of mine is having a party, and he said he was going to provide some food for everyone. He's recently announced he'll be making his 'signature dish', but will be charging £7 a pop for the privilege. I feel it's a bit steep if he's not doing it for profit, should I pay?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's rude of him to 'bait and switch' - invite you to a party*then* announce he is charging. However, as you now know that the deal is pay £7 to attend (or £7 for the food) your choices are to go, and pay, or to decline the invitation.

If he is a very good friend then it might be possible to speak to him and point out that if he wants to ask people to contribute to his party he needs to include that in the original invitation so people know what type of event they are being invited to. Contributing to ingredients so you can all eat nice, expensive food made by a good cook is a perfectly valid model for an evening, but you have to be clear with people from the outset that that is what you are organising.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Have a party and charge your guests for the food :eek:
    That is outrageous!
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell him you can't afford it and ask if it's OK if you bring your own portion of chips from the chippy.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a strange thing to do! Is he doing a special meal to raise money for a charity...you know, like the Macmillan Biggest Coffee Morning where your friends pay for cakes and all the funds go to Macmillan cancer support? If not, its pretty weird and a bit mean: I'd be refusing the invite, claiming a subsequent engagement :D!
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2015 at 3:52PM
    Options
    MSE Nick- this sounds like one of those imaginary friends that MSE posters seem to have.

Why dont you join a few clubs or interest groups to meet real friends? Meetup is a great website to meet others with similar interests. Streetlife is great if you want to become more involved with your local community or you could try volunteering as a way to meet new friends.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I watch that chefs on trial and they make fancy dishes for around £3.50 a head. That guy is making money from gullible friends.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    It's not really a party if people have to pay to attend. What is in his signature dish that it costs £7 a head anyway?
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a friend do this- we were charged for the costs of a BBQ and a Christmas meal. Honestly, I think if you can't afford it you shouldn't host. In my experience people tend to bring some meat to a BBQ and a bottle of something for the host anyway so it seemed totally unnecessary and rude to me.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Why don't you ask the money saver to register and post their question on the forum directly.

Then, you and the MSE team can concentrate on ridding the forum of spam.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think I'd have other commitments if one of my 'friends' wanted to charge me for food at their party.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport