Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • jimmyok
    • 23rd Jun 15, 6:20 AM
    • 23rd Jun 15, 6:20 AM
    Nice forum and nice discussion in this forum.
    • good advice
    • By good advice 24th Jun 15, 8:00 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    good advice
    • 24th Jun 15, 8:00 AM
    • 24th Jun 15, 8:00 AM
    Brilliant thread!
    Decluttering, recycling and make do and mend is part of my every day living. Just getting the family on board is that little bit harder, but they are learning. I encourage to look see what we have before splashing the cash!

I have learned to look at old clothes and fabrics with a new light. I ask myself if I can reuse a zip, buttons or fabric in a new craft?
    I make bags, cushion covers and patchwork.
    The unloved goes to the chariry clothes bin or CS.

I have a large box I often put unwanted, decluttered items in. When the adult children come to visit things are blessed to ther home.
    Anything left a DD puts on her car boot stall.

Soon we are moving to a smaller house. Happy to say Declutter our mortgage. Horay! Will be able to join the mortgage free thread:0)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 24th Jun 15, 1:40 PM
    • 8,923 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 24th Jun 15, 1:40 PM
    • 24th Jun 15, 1:40 PM
    Fantastic! We can't wait to give you a mortgage free badge! Keep us updated!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 24th Jun 15, 11:54 PM
    • 4,222 Posts
    • 9,292 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    • 24th Jun 15, 11:54 PM
    • 24th Jun 15, 11:54 PM
    At Christmas, I stumbled upon Bea Johnson's Zero Waste Home book in my local library. I was already 2 years in on the path of Minimalism, but zero waste resonated so much with me.

To give a brief overview of some of the changes I've made;

I made cloth squares the same size as kitchen roll from some scrap fabric I was given. I use them to line cake tins and the microwave rather than kitchen roll.

I've bought pyrex dishes with special microwaveable lids, so I can freeze food in them and defrost/ cook in them.

I use plates as lids for bowls in the fridge, rather than clingfilm.

I made my own cloth re-usable pantyliners and I plan to make my own cloth re-useable sanitary towels at some point too. I had scraps of fabric left over from making PJs.

I stopped buying expensive chemical cleaners and start using white vinegar, bicarb and soda crystals. I re-fill my own cleaning bottles.

I only use cloth bags for shopping now.

We started to buy solid shampoos, conditioners, soaps, hand creams and body lotion bars- all packaging free from Lush. We no longer use shower gel at all and we have massively reduced our plastic waste.

I purchased e-cloth scouring pads and cloths for the washing up, instead of plastic scourers. I now just put these in on a hot wash and re-use.

I sew up holes in clothes and pretty much only buy second-hand, or make my own.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,102.73
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,338.50
    • Akaaka
    • By Akaaka 25th Jun 15, 1:09 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Akaaka
    • 25th Jun 15, 1:09 AM
    • 25th Jun 15, 1:09 AM
    Hey I sew up old socks and even underwear within reason because it lasts, not being tight but sometimes had nice socks given as prezzies often have little holes in them within a few weeks or so.

I even walk 5 minutes to nearest community recycling bin than dump it outside my flat in the big metal bins and even with my basic stuff I use things like takeaway containers(not the plastic ones the foam ones) to put rubbish in rather than put in carrier bags and I often fill up a bag with rubbish, take it down to outside bins and empty them in bin and take bags back,

I put old scourers in the machine instead of dumping them(many friends at uni used to use them once like wipe and single plate and put them in bin)
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 26th Jun 15, 10:38 AM
    • 8,923 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 26th Jun 15, 10:38 AM
    • 26th Jun 15, 10:38 AM
    Yay to sewing up old socks! Nothing tight about that - if the holes can be caught in time before they get bigger why not?

We're very much a throw-away society nowadays so we love our Old Style MoneySaving and Crafting boards all the more!

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • good advice
    • By good advice 26th Jun 15, 12:33 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    good advice
    • 26th Jun 15, 12:33 PM
    • 26th Jun 15, 12:33 PM
    i like to recycle the 1kg plastic marg tubs. Very usefull as deviders in drawers. if to tall cut them down.
    Useful for starting off seeds too!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 26th Jun 15, 12:36 PM
    • 8,923 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 26th Jun 15, 12:36 PM
    • 26th Jun 15, 12:36 PM
    More Re-use MoneySaving added to the top post

Join the MSE Forum
    • laurenpurdy123
    • By laurenpurdy123 26th Jun 15, 1:24 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 10,307 Thanks
    laurenpurdy123
    Fab thread, going to have a nosy through the links!

I like to be as eco as I can... composting is my new thing so far so good!!x
    Life is far too short not to do something amazing with it

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 26th Jun 15, 2:31 PM
    • 6,454 Posts
    • 10,611 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Silly suggestion, but my wife started baking bread last year, and needed something to cover it when proving. So she asked people to pass on any 'free' shower caps from hotels. They work brilliantly as they are elasticated.

They are also good to use instead of cling film to cover the tops of bowls going in the fridge, just snap fit, over and over.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 26th Jun 15, 4:17 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE Blog: How to save money by reusing and recycling
    "When I heard this week (22-28 June) was Recycle Week, I jumped at the chance to highlight our readersí top tips, plus more...."

Read MSE Andrea's full blog: How to save money by reusing and recycling

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Jun 15, 4:12 PM
    • 27,181 Posts
    • 13,290 Thanks
    Cardew
    Given Andrea's upturned shampoo bottle, it is perhaps in order to express a pet hate of mine; namely the inability of some people to correctly stack the dishwasher.

We all regularly use the same crockery and glasses and it doesn't take long to learn how they can fit in the racks in most efficient manner; and thus maximise the load.

In my house, my wife and adult daughter(both with Masters degrees - so not thick!)) seem unable to grasp the concept. A plate can be inserted at an angle covering three spaces and everything else placed without any consideration of stacking efficiently.

At the risk of appearing sexist! can I(tongue in cheek) ask if this is something along the lines of a lack of spatial awareness often attributed to the fair sex.

I have asked several of my male friends who to a greater or lesser degree share my concerns.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 29th Jun 15, 5:00 PM
    • 4,222 Posts
    • 9,292 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Given Andrea's upturned shampoo bottle, it is perhaps in order to express a pet hate of mine; namely the inability of some people to correctly stack the dishwasher.

We all regularly use the same crockery and glasses and it doesn't take long to learn how they can fit in the racks in most efficient manner; and thus maximise the load.

In my house, my wife and adult daughter(both with Masters degrees - so not thick!)) seem unable to grasp the concept. A plate can be inserted at an angle covering three spaces and everything else placed without any consideration of stacking efficiently.

At the risk of appearing sexist! can I(tongue in cheek) ask if this is something along the lines of a lack of spatial awareness often attributed to the fair sex.

I have asked several of my male friends who to a greater or lesser degree share my concerns.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    As a female who stacks the dishwasher in the most efficient manner possible, I am certain this behaviour is simply pure laziness.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,102.73
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,338.50
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 30th Jun 15, 1:57 PM
    • 8,923 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    As a female who stacks the dishwasher in the most efficient manner possible, I am certain this behaviour is simply pure laziness.
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Hahaha, I'm not commenting!

Join the MSE Forum
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 12th Jul 15, 2:03 PM
    • 17,664 Posts
    • 110,348 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    I love recycling and am so happy that my local council has changed their recycling regime as 2/3rd of my waste by both weight and volume now go into that.

However my biggest recycling effort was back in 1984, I did a set dressing that needed about 50 metres of white fabric. It was in good order, so I didn't want to chuck it out. In 1986 I used it to make lovely billowy curtains for my new house. The curtains were still quite long when I took them down, so they got made into shorter curtains for my new house. They have also been made into Halloween costumes, togas and numerous other dress up items. Best of all, I still have about 20 metres to use and as it is in good order will last as long as me.

So, in short, big bits of fabric - don't chuck them out, turn them into useable smaller bits of fabric.

The other bee I have in my bonnet is about shower curtains (read about shower caps above and the penny dropped). If you buy the cheap ones (about £2 each from Asda or Tesco), you use them as a liner to your more expensive shower curtain. Not only do they keep your normal shower curtain looking good for longer, but when cheapy gets a little yellow, fold it up and keep it in the car as an emergency ground sheet. I took mine to Hyde Park this year, had a picnic on it, then it was small enough to fold up into my bag and come home. If I don't go to another festival, then it can be used as a groundsheet for gardening - chuck all of my weeds on it and decant into the bin in one go.
    Last edited by vivatifosi; 12-07-2015 at 2:10 PM.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • good advice
    • By good advice 12th Jul 15, 7:23 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    good advice
    I saved £ today by picking sweet pea's from our garden. Colourful home grown flowers grown from seed , in a little pink vase on our table.
    The scent is quite strong. No scented candles needed in summer.

Reuse - my grandbabies, that are just learning to sit up are often put in my laundry basket with a few toys at the feet end.
    One of their faverote make do toys is a large plastic kitchen spoon. Easy and light to hold. Lots of banging.

Mend - today, I threaded some thin wire from an ex calander top, to the cage of a fan. The fan cage was missing a clip.
    • Wombatchops
    • By Wombatchops 24th Jul 15, 11:32 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    Wombatchops
    What a fantastic thread. I look forward to learning a lot from it.

I have an old margarine tub which I washed out and store my clothes pegs in it.

I have a bucket which catches the cold water while the shower warms up, then use that water for the loo.

Old ice cream tubs are used for keeping extra meal portions when batch cooking, which then go in the freezer (we don't waste food).

I also put plates on top of bowls which are going in the fridge. Why waste cling film?

A great toy for small children is old sweet wrappers (think R0ses, Qual1ty Str33t, etc). They can crinkle them, and hold them up to their eyes. They live it. The wrappers are kept in an old ice cream tub.

We re-use tin foil for things going in the oven, or for sandwiches, so long as they are not too dirty or ripped to shreds.

Once we are finished with letters or junk mail we receive through the post from companies, etc, we use the blank side of the paper for writing notes, lists, and for the kids to use for drawing and colouring.

Freezer bags, so long as they are not ripped or have holes, are washed and re-use.

I cut individual letters and pictures from magazines to write messages and make pictures in card making.

Old newspaper is used for kitchen peelings and then put in the food waste bin.

That's all I can think of for now. I know there is a lot more I can do, though.
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
    • Evie Clarkson
    • By Evie Clarkson 7th Sep 15, 1:55 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    Evie Clarkson
    I reuse food bags and tin foil too! Shoe boxes are great for storing bits and bobs as well, I've been doing that since I was little!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 11th Oct 15, 11:33 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    edwink
    I recycle absolutely everything I can.

My husband shorts got a rip in them so today I sewed a pretty floral patch on them from an old top I had. He had oil in 2 places on these short that just would not wash out whatever we tried. So to cover the oil marks up I sewed floral patches over them. His shorts look really quirky now. Because I liked the floral material so much I made 2 pockets out of it and sewed them on to an extremely plain smock top that I often wear. That has really made a difference to this old smock top and my intention is to wear this smock top when my husband wears his shorts. Talk about Harold and Hilda. Can't wait!!

Also mended a pair of my husband socks today. One hole in one and two holes in the other. I slipped them over a rolling pin to get a solid surface to expose the hole and they are now both patched up neatly and ready to wear.

Today I boiled up our potato peelings for our hens because they love them and also crushed up some egg shells to mix with their feed for extra Calcium.

Nothing goes to waste in our house, ever. Yay for recycling, I love it.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 7 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,282Posts Today

9,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin