IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye Charge Notice at Sunderland Royal Hospital for 12 Min "Overstay"

Options
Hi Y'all,
I'm looking for advice and help on a ParkingEye charge my parents received.
They received a letter today stating they were 12 min over the allocated 20 min free-stay.
This was down to the fact that my mother was dropping my father off for an operation and the delay was caused by the hospital as it was first thing in the morning so things overran.
The time states 07:28AM to 08:01AM the carpark itself was somewhat empty.

They are going to appeal the matter and i'm wondering how to go about this.
Do i argue the 10 min grace period and the time it took to make sure that it was safe to exit the carpark etc. And the fact it was busy in the hospital.
£40 seems steep for a few minutes over.
Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Tom

Comments

• Fight_the_good_fight
    Options
    Without stating the obvious the first place to start is the newbies thread where all relevant information is held.
    Once you have had a good read of this section and will have a better understanding and ask more pertinent questions and the equality act may play a part and speaking to PALS at the hospital
    I Am Charlie
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    1) read the NEWBIES sticky thread and appeal it

2) do not name or infer who was driving

3) complain to PALS or the trust and insist on a cancellation, especially as it was their delay that caused this
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you appeal be sure to quote from the Department of Health guidance on NHS patient, visitor and staff car parking principles

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles
    Trusts should consider installing ‘pay on exit’ or similar schemes so that drivers pay only for the time that they have used. Additional charges should only be imposed where reasonable(4) and should be waived when overstaying is beyond the driver’s control (eg when treatment takes longer than planned, or when staff are required to work beyond their scheduled shift).

(4) - ‘Reasonable’ implementation of additional charges practice might include additional charges for people who do not have legitimate reasons for parking (eg commuters), or who persistently flout parking regulations (eg blocking entrances). A period of grace should normally be applied before a parking charge notice is issued.
  • Myriddin
    Myriddin Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    PALS at Sunderland Royal Hospital now go by the title Help and Advice Service. They can be contacted on freephone 08005876513 or by email: [EMAIL="Helpandadviceservice@chsft.nhs.uk"]Helpandadviceservice@chsft.nhs.uk[/EMAIL]
    'People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.' Wizard's first rule © Terry Goodkind.
  • Ivor_Pecheque
    Ivor_Pecheque Posts: 745 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi Y'all,
    I'm looking for advice and help on a ParkingEye charge my parents received.
    They received a letter today stating they were 12 min over the allocated 20 min free-stay.
    This was down to the fact that my mother was dropping my father off for an operation and the delay was caused by the hospital as it was first thing in the morning so things overran.

Imtom, sorry, I'm unable to give specific advice, I'm sure others on here may be able to help though.

Essentially, I think that you've been treated a little unfair, please tell as many people as you can about your experience. There is a public consultation exercise about this sort of thing, please feel free to contribute.

Hope your mum and dad's doing okay.
    Illegitimi non carborundum:)
  • Ivor_Pecheque
    Ivor_Pecheque Posts: 745 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    and remember to let the Chief Exec about your problems.... City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust
    Sunderland Royal Hospital Kayll Road Sunderland Tyne and Wear SR4 7TP

Tel: 0191 514 0220
    Email: corporate.affairs@chs.northy.nhs.uk
    www: http://www.sunderland.nhs.uk
    Sub-category: NHS - Acute Trust

- See more at: http://www.healthcare-today.co.uk/organisation.php?id=1253#sthash.gVbZJlhS.dpuf
    Illegitimi non carborundum:)
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above contact the hospital, complain to the papers ( as above) and fill in the government consultation details here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5208199 plus levae a message in that thread to say youve done it
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Myriddin wrote: »
    PALS at Sunderland Royal Hospital now go by the title Help and Advice Service. They can be contacted on freephone 08005876513 or by email: [EMAIL="Helpandadviceservice@chsft.nhs.uk"]Helpandadviceservice@chsft.nhs.uk[/EMAIL]
    That's the only email you need - tell Audrey I sent you! They are lovely at cancelling these but it's the NHS Trust's fault PE are there at all.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • imtom
    imtom Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! Ive emailed Helpandadviceservice@chsft.nhs.uk so i'm hoping someone gets in contact. It's absolutely disgusting having such facilities at a hospital of all places!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure