Best value ready meals?

Options
We want to know what the cheapest and healthiest ready meals are out there. Tell us your favourites - which offer good value, taste the best and feed the most people? (PS we know it's cheapest to make you're own but that's not what we're asking about this time)

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Options
    Iceland Stores Chinese, Indian and pizza ready meals for us, for our 'lazy night'. They're the only ready meals we like and most are nicer, and cheaper, than takeaway food. :)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think cheapest and healthiest are two words that go together when talking about ready meals.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I don't think cheapest and healthiest are two words that go together when talking about ready meals.

A round of applause for that!
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We like Charlie Bingham (?) Lasagne, Moussaka etc - but only when it's reduced to half price. It's then a mere(!) £3.99 or so......but it's actually as good as, or better, than my home made one, which I frequently don't have the time or energy to make. A space is left in the freezer just in case!

I have a sort of cheat ready-meal fish pie, which consists of Fish in Butter Sauce (often on special offer, 4 for about £3) with squashed jacket potato on top, and frozen peas. Nicer than Admirals Pie but I can' really claim it's home made, sorry healthy people out there!
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    Also Sainsburys Basics shepherds pie. Made with lamb mince, potato and not much else additive wise as far as I could see...and only 80p. Couldn't make it for that.
  • pakokelso93
    Options
    For a snack or quick tea Value range Mac n Cheese is decent enough for 80pish in most stores. You can throw in some extra cheese on top if need be.
    PK! :money:
  • sylviesinc
    sylviesinc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    As a retired couple who value our leisure time, we chose to have Oakhouse Foods deliver our meals. They are quick frozen "ready" meals so I think they fit the criteria but they are the most delicious I have ever tasted and the variety is astonishing. They are supposedly made with the finest ingredients and they certainly taste better than any supermarket ready meal I have ever tasted, plus the ingredients listed are always impressive.
  • sdc2015
    Options
    Lidl's fresh Thai green curry with jasmine rice is delicious, contains discernible vegetables (bamboo shoots and fine green beans) as well as plenty of chicken, and costs only £1.49. Per pack it has 492 calories, 12g fat (3%) 4.1g fibre and 33g protein (8.2%).
  • JSUK_2
    JSUK_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Co-Op's healthier range Chicken Tikka Masala and rice comes highly recommended - £2.59 or two for £4. Quality meat, great flavour, lovely texture, and all greens on the traffic light. Personally I prefer it to their regular one, despite it being cheaper and healthier.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »

Then you would have a good chance of being wrong.:)

Certainly it's the case that expensive ready meals are often less healthy than cheaper ones. Because they're the ones with the more fat laden upmarket ingredients.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure