🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Another takeover?

Options

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    If they were drilling in the middle of the British countryside or somewhere in America, Shell would be made to clean up after them. And compensation and jobs would have gone to the local people. Aas you say there are enormous sums of money involved, some of that should be paid to people who for generations have lived on that land.

What has this got to do with the takeover?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Each BG share will be swapped for £3.83 and 0.4454 RDSB shares which gives a value of around 1304p in total. I only hold shares in BG so it gives me a chance to capture some cash sans CGT and hold shares in a company with a 5% divi and one which should grow and be more profitable given economies of scale.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Each BG share will be swapped for £3.83 and 0.4454 RDSB shares which gives a value of around 1304p in total. I only hold shares in BG so it gives me a chance to capture some cash sans CGT and hold shares in a company with a 5% divi and one which should grow and be more profitable given economies of scale.

I don't doubt that its a better deal for BG shareholders, because they have been given a 50% head start over Shell shareholders. I am simply asking why?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I don't doubt that its a better deal for BG shareholders, because they have been given a 50% head start over Shell shareholders. I am simply asking why?
    Well who knows what goes on in these secret deals? Of course there are also one or two divis for BG shareholders to collect before the deal is done.

Shell are looking well ahead and seeking to capture valuable productive assets and also save money in realising synergies ..thats boardroom speak for saving money and chopping jobs..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Shell are looking well ahead and seeking to capture valuable productive assets and also save money in realising synergies ..thats boardroom speak for saving money and chopping jobs..
    In which case it would benefit both sets of shareholders in the combined company equally without one paying the other a 52% premium.
    So I am still none the wiser ...
  • TakeCareOfThePennies_2
    TakeCareOfThePennies_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2015 at 6:42PM
    Options
    Glen Clark,

Re: "So I am still none the wiser ..."

Go read the first three paragraphs here... http://www.ftpress.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2109325&seqNum=4

That summarises the "why's" of M&A premiums, a.k.a. control premiums.

Its a good deal for BG shareholders in my eyes, forced to choose between RDS and BG I'd much rather hold RDS, too many risks at BG already trading at a bit of a premium.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Glen Clark,

Re: "So I am still none the wiser ..."

Go read the first three paragraphs here... http://www.ftpress.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2109325&seqNum=4

That summarises the "why's" of M&A premiums, a.k.a. control premiums.

Its a good deal for BG shareholders in my eyes, forced to choose between RDS and BG I'd much rather hold RDS, too many risks at BG already trading at a bit of a premium.

Thanks for the link. 52% - over twice the average, seems a hell of a premium to pay for the dubious benefit of it all being controlled by Shell management - when BG management have shown themselves to be the better negotiators by getting such a high premium.
  • HarryD
    HarryD Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    OP - what's your house worth? Would you sell it to me for that? Let's say you don't want to move, so you would not.

But how about if I offered you 50% more than it's worth - would you sell it to me now?

It's exactly the same with the shareholders who own BG. Offer them over the odds and they'll sell. Don't and they might well not.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Guys all so complicated,I have a substantial number of Bg shares and also Centrica.
    I keep seeing Centrica mentioned in the deal but surely that is a separate entity and not part of the sale
  • TakeCareOfThePennies_2
    Options
    redmalc,

The press release quite clearly states....

On 8 April 2015 the Boards of Royal Dutch Shell plc and BG Group plc are pleased to announce....

Centrica plc is a seperate company.

Are you sure you are not reading journalist waffle that's describing the history of BG Group and the historical Centrica split ?

If you're seeing it in some official documentation, then please provide a link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport