ESA query

Options
Wonder if anyone can advise.

Brother in law aged 61 suffered a near fatal aneurism Jan 2004 and has still not recovered .

After his work sick pay ran out he started receiving ESA CB around £72 in April/March . His work paid him off with a small sum some time last year.

On talking to him, he said he's never filled in a detailed ESA form nor been asked to attend an assessment, and is still getting this £72 per week.

Am I right in thinking as this is CB based it will run out sometime this year? And should he not be on a different rate?

He doesn't receive anything else and won't be eligible for anything means tested.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There is a huge backlog of claim at the moment. I would suggest he phone ESA to find out when his assessment is likely to be. You are correct that Conts based payment will cease after 365 days so he does need to act now.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He certainly should have filled out a form.

He needs to ring and find out what is happening.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    To add to ^ once assessed and presuming he gets into one of the two groups he will be entitled to back money from week 13. If he gets into the support group then his money wouldn't stop after one year but continue.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Watermann20
    Options
    Ok thanks I'll tell him. I also thought he had to be assessed and a decision issued as to which group he was put in.

If put in the Support group of CB ESA would the fact his wife works reduce his ESA payment.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Ok thanks I'll tell him. I also thought he had to be assessed and a decision issued as to which group he was put in.

If put in the Support group of CB ESA would the fact his wife works reduce his ESA payment.

No, if he gets into the support group then he will get the full amount, however if the WRAG then his wife working means he won't get money but would get his NI paid.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Watermann20
    Options
    Quick update, he phoned to ask why he was still on this rate, and within a week was given a cancellation assessment date. I think he's probably filled in a form with help from an health advisor sometime last year and forgotten about it.

He called yesterday to say he's got a letter saying he's been put in the Support Group. He said the assessment process was fine, no complaints. He'd been a bit worried about it , because of all the things you read in the papers. And wasn't sure what to expect.

So thought I'd just update, maybe reassure others going through this as well.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport