MSE News: Npower to cut gas prices, but you can save much more by switching

"Npower is cutting gas prices by 5.1% from 16 February, but you can save more by switching..."
Read the full story:

Npower to cut gas prices, but you can save much more by switching

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, one may be able to save more by switching supplier, after all, there will always be some other company out there offering a cheaper tariff. I'm with Npower and I've just switched tariffs, saving a reasonable amount of money by doing so. I could have saved a further massive 25 quid! by switching supplier, but to be honest, in the several years I've been with Npower, I've had very few issues with them and I'm not going to bother myself switching supplier for the sake of 25 quid a year.

Maybe in February, they might introduce another new tariff to take into account the forthcoming reduction. If the gas part of the tariff is cheaper than the one I've just switched to, I'll change again. There's being obsessive about saving money and there's being practical and staying with the same supplier for me personally, is easier than having the hassle of messed up bills, weeks of waiting for supplier change etc, all for the sake of a few extra quid a year.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,466
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    NPower's website only mentions a reduction on the standard rate.

I am with them, too and have been for years, with no problems. I was about to swap, last October, but luckily checked and found they were under £10 dearer than elsewhere (these being companies often complained about), with the bonus of having no escape fee, meaning I have been able to change to better tariffs for gas and electricity since October.
  • Caddyman
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    .......but luckily checked and found they were under £10 dearer than elsewhere (these being companies often complained about), with the bonus of having no escape fee, meaning I have been able to change to better tariffs for gas and electricity since October.

Most of us love paying the minimum, but I still find it odd that there are some people out there who are so unbelievaby obsessed by saving even a tenner a year, that they will put themselves through the hassle of switching supplier if it comes with more problems than its worth. I fully understand some people have no problems at all switching, but evidence from forums suggests that some end up with more difficulties switching just for the sake of saving a few quid a year than if they'd stayed with their original supplier. And yes, like you, my last few tariff switches with Npower have had no penalties and it has been hassle free each time. I'd like to point out, I'm absolutely not anti-switch when it comes to energy suppliers or insurance, but I'm a realist and I fully weigh up the situation before I leap.
  • Lurker21
    Lurker21 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Yes, one may be able to save more by switching supplier, after all, there will always be some other company out there offering a cheaper tariff. I'm with Npower and I've just switched tariffs, saving a reasonable amount of money by doing so. I could have saved a further massive 25 quid! by switching supplier, but to be honest, in the several years I've been with Npower, I've had very few issues with them and I'm not going to bother myself switching supplier for the sake of 25 quid a year.
    Most of us love paying the minimum, but I still find it odd that there are some people out there who are so unbelievably obsessed by saving even a tenner a year, that they will put themselves through the hassle of switching supplier if it comes with more problems than its worth.

I agree. Switching supplier to save a few quid has become something of a fetish for some people.

It's just not worth it for small amounts at the moment. Companies are going to be leapfrogging each other downwards over the next several months. I for one will be sticking with Scottish Power and moving to whatever their lowest tariff is. Their Feb 2016 is a great deal at the moment - and no exit penalties.
  • Caddyman
    Forumite
    edited 7 February 2015 at 5:20PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    NPower's website only mentions a reduction on the standard rate.

I am with them, too and have been for years, with no problems. I was about to swap, last October, but luckily checked and found they were under £10 dearer than elsewhere (these being companies often complained about), with the bonus of having no escape fee, meaning I have been able to change to better tariffs for gas and electricity since October.

Update! Today, 07 Feb 2015, I changed tariffs again with Npower. They have just introduced Price Fix May 2016 which is cheaper than the price fix April 2016 I swapped to just two weeks ago. You really do have to be on the ball with energy companies.

At this rate, I'll be checking my tariffs 4 weekly because it is obvious Npower themselves are not interested in informing me as a customer by email that they have a revised cheaper tariff based on my useage. Indeed I believe I'd have had to wait at least three months until my next bill (they've recently changed their billing frequency) to discover whether or not there was a cheaper tariff if I hadn't bothered to consult MSE Energy Saving Club. I guess that's business though and if everyone did it, they'd lose.

To Npower's credit though, they swapped me to the new tariff without fuss, with pleasant customer service and no fees involved. Yes I can save a further £6 a year by changing supplier, but it just isn't worth it for such a small saving.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    . . . Yes I can save a further £6 a year by changing supplier, but it just isn't worth it for such a small saving.
    But that could jump to £36 if you got cash-back through CEC as well. Or did your figures include cash-back?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Caddyman
    Forumite
    But that could jump to £36 if you got cash-back through CEC as well. Or did your figures include cash-back?

No, I'm not that hard up! I swapped tariffs directly via Npower, therefore there is no extra 30 quid cashback. To be honest, I can't be bothered, I'd rather deal direct with Npower, no hassle, done there and then over the 'phone. If people want to really cream it and get that 30 quid and wait for so many weeks/months to get it, then they're welcome to it. Plus, not sure about CEC, but there was recently the claim that swapping tariffs via external sources makes money for those companies, up to the tune of £60, £30 for each fuel swapped. I'm not in the business of making money for those companies thanks.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 February 2015 at 4:36PM
    Yes I'm with you. I just phone them up, and they change it over at midnight. Done quickly and hopefully smoothly.

uSwitch sent me a mail to notify me of the savings (on 3rd Feb).
    No email from cheapenergyclub. (seams to be a bit slow & hit and miss).
  • Caddyman
    Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Yes I'm with you. I just phone them up, and they change it over at midnight. Done quickly and hopefully smoothly.

Agreed, the quickest way to ensure your tariff is changed with Npower, is forget about the 30 quid cash back, especially if it takes several weeks for the intermediary to get your tariff changed, by which time, any potential advantage of the cashback offer, may well have been swallowed up by your old tariff rates.

I have now read CEC's position on what it receives from acting as an intermediary for switchers, and whilst I appreciate they do provide a great service for many people and it does have to be paid for, I'm still not happy for companies to make money from me actually having to go through the process of providing my details to enable the switch to go ahead when it is just as easy to phone Npower's freephone number and do it myself. I know Npower have had some almighty stick from customers and former customers alike, but actually, they've done me no harm so I'm happy to stick with 'em.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,466
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Update! Today, 07 Feb 2015, I changed tariffs again with Npower. They have just introduced Price Fix May 2016 which is cheaper than the price fix April 2016 I swapped to just two weeks ago. You really do have to be on the ball with energy companies.

At this rate, I'll be checking my tariffs 4 weekly because it is obvious Npower themselves are not interested in informing me as a customer by email that they have a revised cheaper tariff based on my useage. Indeed I believe I'd have had to wait at least three months until my next bill (they've recently changed their billing frequency) to discover whether or not there was a cheaper tariff if I hadn't bothered to consult MSE Energy Saving Club. I guess that's business though and if everyone did it, they'd lose.

To Npower's credit though, they swapped me to the new tariff without fuss, with pleasant customer service and no fees involved. Yes I can save a further £6 a year by changing supplier, but it just isn't worth it for such a small saving.

I noticed the drop (about 5p a day on standing charge, though miniscule unit rate fall), too, and will be changing just the gas on Monday. Electricity has actually increased, so my present tariff stays put.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure