Great Hunt: How to trim your tummy without also trimming your bank account

Options
Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 12 January 2015 at 1:51PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Getting in shape is among the more popular New Year's resolutions, but fancy diets and posh gyms don't come cheap. We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on getting buff on a budget. What are your top tips for trimming down and toning up without spending a fortune?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Comments

• moonbeam_7_98
    Options
    About a year ago my sister and I started to do this weekly. She would come round to mine and we would follow a workout DVD in my front room. The DVDs cost a few pounds second hand and by doing this together we keep each other motivated. You can get a great workout especially and you don't have to buy nice 'gym clothes' either!
  • Ryanna2599
    Options
    About a year ago my sister and I started to do this weekly. She would come round to mine and we would follow a workout DVD in my front room. The DVDs cost a few pounds second hand and by doing this together we keep each other motivated. You can get a great workout especially and you don't have to buy nice 'gym clothes' either!

Another option for finding Workouts to do at home can be found on YouTube. I regularly do a Pilates session following a Free YouTube video and I've found the quality / moves very similar to those done in a class at my local Leisure Centre.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I lost three stone in six months on the 5:2 Diet and I've kept it off since April 2013. It was totally free to do and saved me a fortune - which I needed for my new size 10 clothes!
    I was in the Daily Mail last Wednesday :j
    Search for "health inspiring fast diet success stories" on their website.
  • SuperSaver123
    Options
    I love my weighted hula hoop! I can use it while I watch TV or when the weather is nice in the garden.

You can buy it for around £15 from ebay or amazon and even though it can be painful at the beginning and even cause bruising, it then becomes a great fun! And tones up your tummy at the same time!
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Search for the NHS podcasts 'Couch to 5km'. Totally free, and the programme really works (even though at one point it makes a horrific jump!)

Currently doing it with my finance in prep for our wedding, and she's gone from having never jogged seriously in her life to doing 25-30 minute jogs 3-4 times a week.
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another tip that is working for us is making sure you exercise when it feels like the last thing you want to do. So when you're knackered, it's raining, and you just want to go to bed - don your trainers and get out the house immediately.

The idea being that anyone can exercise when things are going right and you're in a good mood for it. But if you can force yourself to exercise when everything is telling you not to, then you'll also exercise when the situation is far better, ergo you'll exercise all the time.

As soon as you make an excuse like being tired or it's raining, then everything is an acceptable excuse and you'll flunk.
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I used MyFitnessPal free app to log what I was eating and Ive lost 6stone! It is counting calories but use in conjunction with a free step counter/ fitness app to see what youre burning off too.
    :hello:
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    This rather depends where you live and work - I don't drive anyway (from choice) so my life is planned around not having daily access to a car, but I'd say just walk wherever you need to go, if you possibly can. If you're lucky, it'll actually save you money in fares or petrol (or even the cost of owning a car, if you're prepared to do without one completely).
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • themilnes
    Options
    It's great to hear everyone's ideas!

I managed to lose nearly 2 stone and get down to my ideal weight mainly by using a game on the Xbox 360 called Your Shape - Fitness Evolved, (needs the kinect). It can be found for less than a tenner and really whipped me into shape. I went along to a Commando fitness session and they all wanted to know how I'd got so fit at home! :)

Good luck however you decide to do it... :j
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    Ryanna2599 wrote: »
    Another option for finding Workouts to do at home can be found on YouTube. I regularly do a Pilates session following a Free YouTube video and I've found the quality / moves very similar to those done in a class at my local Leisure Centre.

Beat me to it! Was also going to suggest YouTube exercise videos. There are loads of different ones out there but I particularly like Yoga with Adrienne and FitnessBlender.

Also for those who want to get into running: look for your local parkrun. These are free 5k runs every Saturday morning in parks around the UK and are aimed at people of all abilities. It's a really supportive atmosphere and worth giving a go (though if you've never run before you might want to do a Couch to 5K - have heard good things about the NHS version but I also liked the Zombies, Run! 5k app).

Finally, building walking into your life can make a massive difference. In the summer before my wedding I was walking two miles every weekday (between my office and the train station) and felt so much better for it. Even if you can just get out for a brisk 20 minute walk at lunch time it can make a difference.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure