Looking to buy a property, have noticed a few things. Advice please.

Hi everybody,

Went to view a house yesterday, which I thought was great, and I am know considering an offer. However, there are a couple of things:

All the ceilings upstairs are covered in artex, and all of them have cracks along the curved edges. Could this be a sign of movement in the house ceiling, or just the artex?

To the right of the property, and between the boundary of the neighbours property, is a side gate and path. The gate is shared as the path way is quite thin, but once through the gate, the neighbour could access my garden if he wished, as there is no boundary fence, only a gate which goes in to his garden at the end of the path/corner of garden. I could easily put a fence up, but as the path is so thin, I would have to lose a few ft of my land in order for the path to be enough. Any suggestions as to what I could do?

The house is a 3 bed semi, possibly built in the 1970’s.

Thanks

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Firstly, if you can find a 40 year plus old house without a few cracks then it's been recently face lifted. Expect a few cracks

For the second part a piccy is needed as I don't get it, Cheers.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • samo8076
    samo8076 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks,

I shall try and draw up a diagram of the path.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    I would have to lose a few ft of my land in order for the path to be enough. Any suggestions as to what I could do?

Be a good neighbor and share the path, better a wide shared path than a thin 'private' path.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    If you want to ensure your neighbours can't access your property you'll want something like this

epiqf6.gif

A few landmines scattered around the lawn will also help to get the " KEEP OFF MY LAND" message across :D
  • samo8076
    haha.

I am arranging a second viewing this week, so may pop around and speak to the neighbour to see what his thoughts are.
  • cyclonebri1
    samo8076 wrote: »
    haha.

I am arranging a second viewing this week, so may pop around and speak to the neighbour to see what his thoughts are.

That's a very good idea for another reason and something more folks should do.

Spending the next 20 years living next door to superprat isn't fun. Finding out before you commit is advisable.

(not that I'm suggesting they are the neighbours from hell, you have no reason to suspect they are, but first impressions and all that. Plus if they are fine then they can often give the lowdown with any previous or existing issues)

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• samo8076
    Everything was ok'd yesterday, so put in an offer, which was accepted :)
  • cyclonebri1
    samo8076 wrote: »
    Everything was ok'd yesterday, so put in an offer, which was accepted :)

Well done, and curiosity satisfied, good all round??

• samo8076
    Yup good all round.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Are you sure you know were the boundaries are and what easements access rights exist
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure