IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Have you taken a private parking ticket appeal to the Independent Parking Committee?

Former_MSE_Marcel
Former_MSE_Marcel Posts: 37 Forumite
edited 4 August 2014 at 5:49PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We'd like to know if you have appealed a private parking ticket to the Independent Parking Committee's Independent Appeals Service.
Please let us know your feedback, as well as how you got on. Please share any tips that may help others too. Just click reply below to share them.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Thanks for your help,
MSE Marcel

Comments

• gertysingh
    gertysingh Posts: 286 Forumite
    ???

MSE Marcel - all the tips are on the Newbies sticky thread that Coupon-Mad set up at the top of this board.

Results of IPC decisions that forumers on both MSE and Pepipoo have helped are in another thread
    Trying to educate people to stop littering the country side in trail races!!!
  • 4consumerrights
    4consumerrights Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2014 at 7:29PM
    Why MSE MARCEL - have you had a ticket you need some help with :)

The IPC model is completely different and so are the "Assessors" who are purported to be independent and solicitors - yet these are nameless on any appeal.

The link being Gladstones solicitors who charge by offering preferential rates for dealing with signs notice to keepers etc.....

The directors of Gladstones are the directors of IPC. The only independent being in the name.

So if this is not true then provide the names of the independent solicitors and barristers you claim deal with appeals.... who quite frankly would not get out of bed for the amount paid per appeal on that basis.
  • With regards to IPC appeals you will not win appeals on GPEOL or the usual grounds that are given on the forum.

There is no longer any point telling people on here to refer to the newbies thread with regards to IPC Tickets (this is being updated shortly)

IPC tickets should be handled differently and we have the solution.

So please dont waste your time doing the "usual". This now has to change. If you would like further info please drop me a PM or email me.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is this not an official MSE thread? I read it as such as Marcel is on the MSE team (from reading previous posts).

Good idea to get a IPC/IAS thread going with actual experience. Can't see it doing any harm, but would be good to know what MSE might do when sufficient customer feedback received.
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Perhaps a few more suggestions with what to put in IPC appeals in the meanwhile might help.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • 4consumerrights
    4consumerrights Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2014 at 8:18PM
    Dee140157 wrote: »
    Perhaps a few more suggestions with what to put in IPC appeals in the meanwhile might help.

Unfortunately the usual suspects for beating IPC tickets has left the building.

You may beat them on other stuff, but i dont think this is going to be that common and given that PCM have now changed their signage and its all now consideration

As explained in a PM to you with regards to tickets in that general that is the way to beat any IPC ticket. Again if you want more information please pm/email

We have the way forward with this, in fact its the only game in town going forward. This new way is simple/fast/risk free
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    One of the directors of the IPC has been quoted as saying that GPEOL was "a dead duck".

From looking at some of the IPC members it is clear that the approach adopted by the organisation is that the only way forward is by using the contractual-fee model. In other words if you park (generally) without a permit then you agree to pay £100 for the privilege of doing so.

This opens up defences using such elements as:
    • Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations
    • European Directive 93/13/EEC
    • [FONT=&quot]A predominant intention to deter[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Lack of standing[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]No obvious tariff
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Lack of means of payment[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]No intention to contract[/FONT]
    Each circumstances will depend very much on signage and issued paperwork.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    MSE Marcel has been doing a lot of work trying to re-write the out of date MSE Guide to Private Parking Tickets, and he's the one who is looking at re-writing the template letter in the MSE article - I have been pm-ing him this afternoon about a few things. And I know he was working on it weeks ago as well.

I think the thorny issue of beating IPC AOS members at IAS is causing some scratching of heads at MSE Towers, that's all, and will make a template letter difficult unless they just tell people to copy the one in the Newbies thread. But then what do posters do at second stage IAS appeal, that might be the difficulty if some PPCs now have the right signs up and if they've met POFA deadlines. As others have said I will be re-hashing the Newbies thread a bit soon as IAS are not as easy to deal with as POPLA.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • rnmed
    rnmed Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hello,

Following the advice on these forums WRT dealing with G24, who have rejected my appeal to a ticket and IAS also rejecting an appeal I am posting the IAS response, :
    The Appellant raises various grounds of appeal which I will deal with in the order it appears in the correspondence.

1. Excessive charge

The Operator does not pursue the Parking Charge following a breach of contract. The Parking Charge has been issued pursuant to a specific contractual term and therefore the question of loss is not a relevant consideration for this appeal.

For further guidance on this point the Appellant may wish to consider the judgment in PARKINGEYE LIMITED and BARRY BEAVIS [2015] EWCA Civ 402

2. Signs not seen

As keeper of the vehicle how can the Appellant know what was or was not seen by the driver? I have seen photographic images of the signage which exists on the site and am satisfied to the required standard that the signage on site was sufficient and that the Appellant was made reasonably aware of the terms contained within these signs. The Appellant chose to park on private land and must therefore abid e by the terms of parking on this private land.

3. Proprietary interest

This site has been audited by the IPC and a copy of the landowner’s authority has been provided to them as part of the audit process. In this appeal procedure the onus this is on the Appellant to prove their case on the balance of probabilities. I am satisfied from the evidence provided that that the Operator has the authority to issue Parking Charge Notices on this site.

It is worth noting on this point, more recent case law is provided by the decision of the Court of Appeal in Vehicle Control Services (VCS) v. HMRC [2013] EWCA Civ 186, para, 22 per Lewison LJ. In this case the contract between VCS and the landowner gave VCS the right to eject trespassers. That is plain from the fact that it is entitled to tow away vehicles that infringe the terms of parking. The contract between VCS and the motorist gives VCS the same right. Given that the motorist has accepted a permit on terms that if the conditions are broken his car is liable to be towed away, it would be open to a motorist to deny that VCS has the right to do that which the contract says it can. In order to vindicate those rights, it is necessary for VCS to have the right to sue in trespass. If, instead of towing away a vehicle, VCS imposes a parking charge there is no impediment to regarding that as damages for trespass.

4. Breach of PoFA

The Appellant raises this ground but fails to specify why the notice breaches PoFA. From the dates provided I am satisfied that the correspondence is in order.

5. No contract

I am satisfied that a contract has been formed in this instance. If the Appellant, on considering the terms, was not happy to accept them, because they felt they were unreasonable, they did not have to accept them. The Appellant had the option to park elsewhere, or they could accept the terms and abide by the maximum stay limits, or to overstay and agree to pay the charge. They chose the last option.

For the reasons stated above, this appeal I dismissed.

Now do I ignore and risk court action as per the MSE news article here (unable to post link from these forums) private-parking-fines-judges-rule-against-motorists, or pay?

Please could you advise, many thanks.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi, you have posted this on a very old thread ( I can see why you did)

It would be far better if you started your own thread.....

I presume that you have read the newbies thread? (it's been updated recently) forum advice re appeals to the IPA is in a period of change...... so please read through and post a new thread

Ralph:cool:

Ralph
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family