The Great Hunt: MoneySaving microwaved meals

Options
If you've been temporarily without an oven or a hob, what surprising, cheap things have you managed to cook with just a microwave? We're looking to tap into MoneySavers' culinary expertise.

Click 'reply' below to share your tips. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide..

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• squeekymoo
    squeekymoo Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Rice and pasta are easy to cook in microwave and be left to finish cooking whilst you make a sauce. cook veggies in a little oil then add tin toms with puree and herbs - you can add quorn mince, cooked sausages or bacon for pasta sauce, add kidney beans and spices for chilli or just stir the veggies through rice and serve with curry sauce you can also can add scrambled egg.
    I don't eat it but fish it is easy to cook in microwave serve with new pots and veggies of salad.
    I always make cheese sauce in microwave -foolproof
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I used to buy "Microwave Know How" - a weekly magazine full of microwave recipes. I've seen them since at boot fairs for really cheap prices.

They were brilliant and I learnt you can cook virtually anything in a microwave.

I found sponge cakes rise better than any I've ever cooked in an oven - but you have to eat them the same day - they go hard by the next day! They taste very light and are so cheap to make. You can make one in a mug, a small individual one!

I've cooked a poached egg in a mug with a little water put in first, you have to do it very slowly and carefully otherwise they'll explode!

Bacon can also be cooked - on a plate, you won't get crispy but perfectly edible, just cook slowly.

The main thing to remember is that you can cook a little bit more but you can't undo once ruined, so always do a few seconds or few minutes (depending on what you are cooking) at a time. Don't try to rush things.

Things cooked in sauces are also very good as they are in a liquid and that is much easier. You can also make soups - my favourite in these recipes was one for lettuce soup, which sounds foul but tastes superb!! It has cream in it but it was the best soup I've ever had!

If you've got one with the oven or grill bit too then there's nothing you cannot cook.

Don't be frightened of your microwave - to me it's an essential and I'd rather have one than a cooker any day!

Just look up recipes online - so easy to find and use!

Have fun.
  • bassitt74
    bassitt74 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've made lemon or lime curd several times now by using a microwave. Heres the recepie:

Ingredients

200g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    250ml fresh lemon juice
    3 lemons, zested
    100g unsalted butter, melted

Method
    Prep:10min Cook:6min Ready in:16min

In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the caster sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
    Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterilised jam jars. Store for up to three weeks in the fridge.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I regularly cook white fish in my MW.
  • SarahTG
    SarahTG Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Don't have a microwave!
  • computamad
    computamad Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I have made meringues in the microwave, they are not as good as normal ones but ideal for eton Mess or anything where you need crushed meringues. I always make white or cheese sauce and cook rice in the microwave. Like Happy in florida I too have some microwave know how books in binders that i used to buy.
  • bluecanoe
    bluecanoe Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Very quick and easy, put a washed potato on a plate suitable for microwave and stab with a knife a few times (essential to stop it exploding). I think around 10 mins depending on size, I have a setting to press on my quite basic machine, which makes it even easier. I like cottage cheese, tuna, cheddar or just butter. All very delicious for lunch, although you could warm through some chilli for a more substantial meal.
  • runrosyfox
    runrosyfox Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Risotto's easy peasy. Per person (adult), you need about 75g rice plus about 250ml stock made with an Oxo cube. Just bung it all together in a bowl with some (frozen) veggies and keep stirrin' till it's soft.
  • runrosyfox
    runrosyfox Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    ... I forgot to add - stir in some cheese at the end. It's not essential, but it really does make life better : )
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    It is only in the last few months that I have actually had a proper oven! After 10 years! I had a combi microwave which grilled and worked as an oven for that entire time and so ate absolutely as normal. While my kitchen was being extended and fitted out my microwave also acted as a footstool when I was on the sofa watching TV. I always cook fish by MW, bacon, "jacket" potatoes, noodles or rice (especially microwave rice in bags) or couscous if I'm looking for something quick and tasty, or as a side dish, sausage casseroles, stews (30 minutes at full power in a crock pot), omlettes and poached eggs which aren't as good as the hob version but perfectly ok. My mum makes cakes in her microwave quite happily. Stewed fruit such as gooseberries, rhubarb etc. I do have a smart new double oven now but it spends much of its life as a cupboard for baking trays, tins etc. Have a look in charity shops for dedicated MW cookbooks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure