MSE News: Paying cheques by photo set to come soon, Government confirms

You'll soon be able to pay a cheque into your bank simply by uploading a photo of it, under new Government measures ...
Read the full story:

Paying cheques by photo set to come soon, Government confirms
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 June 2014 at 2:57PM
    The article doesn't say that the recipient has to receive and keep the original paper cheque.
    Otherwise I predict a hike in cheques-related fraud.

And I guess it doesn't have to be a smartphone or tablet. What's wrong with a PC?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,031
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's a novel idea, but I can't actually see it being much use to many people. I can't remember the last time I received a cheque from anybody.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    It's a novel idea, but I can't actually see it being much use to many people. I can't remember the last time I received a cheque from anybody.

The article says "nearly £840 billion of cheques were processed in 2012" so it might be more use than you think.

I get lots of cheques and would love to pay by photo. It's so difficult for me to get to the bank during work hours.
  • EarthBoy wrote: »

I still get paid by cheque and it's just a pain! :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Amazon sent me a cheque earlier this week for 33p. I'm not trekking into town to bank that.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Amazon sent me a cheque earlier this week for 33p. I'm not trekking into town to bank that.

E.On sent me a refund cheque for about £1.30, to MY address, for a very short void period, but it's payable to the letting agent, probably because they reported the check-out meter readings. What is the result? I throw it away.

Now, if E.On makes it standard practice to ALWAY print the wrong payee for small amounts, they could make tens of thousands. Make you suspicious, doesn't it?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite

I had two cheques for 4p each the other day. I paid them in (I was in there anyway - honest!:)) and the woman's "what a waste of my time" expression made it all worthwhile.
  • SurfKing
    SurfKing Posts: 83 Forumite
    Other countries have had this for ages, glad to see it's finally coming here!
  • savetilibleed
    savetilibleed Posts: 1,363
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When I paid some cheques in just after Christmas, using the Lloyds paying in machine, it prints a small image of the cheque of the receipt. So I guess us uploading an image is not so different to that as their machine simply scans and reads the cheque in the same way a photo uploaded could be.
  • In the US it is possible to scan cheques to the ban in the same way. In fact it isn't even necessary when paying by cheque to send the actual cheque, an email scan is sufficient.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure