We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'Tricks to stop yourself spending' Hunt Revisited

Options

Comments

• guernica
    guernica Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    yorpington wrote: »
    Using an app on my phone which splits my money into envelopes. I do actually use physical envelopes as well for cash, but the app splits the money left in my account down so I can see what it's for. I'm less likely to buy something if I check the app first and that particular envelope is looking a little slender!
    I used to use Piggie.
    Brilliant little app, although I got out of the habit with it recently.

Any purchases you make, you can quickly categorise (fuel, taxi, groceries, electronics, etc. as well as setting up your own custom categories) and can display per month or over the year so you can see the trends.

And it's free.
  • Mezzaroti
    Options
    This might seem obvious, but going out on less shopping trips really helps (I used to pop out every lunchtime to the local market and would always come back with something whether I needed it or not). Going out once every two weeks instead of say, twice a week, will automaticaly save money.

One tip my mother passed to me was "if in doubt, go without". This is very useful - if you are unsure on whether or not to buy something, don't buy it as you don't need it.
  • saharapop
    Options
    I was just going to agree with Mezzaroti. Don't visit the high street or shopping mall just to browse. I stay clear of them as much as possible, therefore I am not tempted to buy something I don't actually need or gimmicky.
    I had a friend who used to visit town for something to do and would come back with a mechanical flying bat that hung from the lampshade or some such ridiculous item. And she was always complaining she was skint!
  • runrosyfox
    runrosyfox Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2014 at 5:27PM
    Options
    I think that's admirable GraceD, but it can make you miserable to live like that. I mean, someone could benefit more than me out of every penny I spend. But you have to look after yourself, and be happy, to look after others and give the world your all. That means not depriving yourself of every non-necessity just because you think a charity could make better use of it.
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    Mezzaroti wrote: »
    One tip my mother passed to me was "if in doubt, go without". This is very useful - if you are unsure on whether or not to buy something, don't buy it as you don't need it.

I LOVE this. Never heard it before and I've inadvertently done it today! I'm going to consciously try this from now on, thank you.

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    My biggie is getting out of the 'it's payday, let's splash the cash' mindset. Even holding off for a week makes me less willing to spend the money.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • bluecanoe
    bluecanoe Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If I am on-line shopping I leave things in the basket at least overnight especially on Amazon. It is amazing how less essential things seem in the morning!

I have also reached the age were I have way too much stuff and think that at Birthday's and Christmas my friends and family should come and take stuff away.
  • sharon-d
    sharon-d Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I just need a few things like milk and eggs I go to my local organic farm shop. The individual items may cost more but I am not tempted by all the offers that I don't need if I went to the supermarket. I definitely spend less this way.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ask yourself before buying anything extravagant:

- Do I really need it?
    - Will it make me happy?
    - In a couple of months, will I still appreciate it?
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I had to retire earlier than I had wanted to due to stress (teacher!) and so I have had to cut down on my spending drastically. The following tips have helped:-
    Go out shopping with a list and stick to it. No impulse buys
    -If you can, find somewhere to shop with free parking. Combine supermarket shops with other shopping and you can use their free two/three hour free parking
    -Go shopping less frequently
    -Use comparison sites with offer alerts and stock up on goods when they are cheaper
    -Look out for 'four shops at £50 and receive a voucher' offers
    -Drop a brand and learn which cheapies are good and which not. Tesco's value butter and sweetcorn are as high a quality as the branded goods
    -Look for vouchers but don't be tempted to use them if you don't need the item
    -Mend rather than buying new. New soles and heels on shoes make for a 'new' pair at a frction of the price
    -keep your shoes and clothes in tip-top repair. Polish and iron frequently for a 'Dry Clean' effect
    -Get cash out for the week and use it rather than credit. Then get less cash out and manage on that
    -Make your own sandwiches rather than buying them. Ditto drinks
    -Buy a cheap breadmaker with a timer and make your own bread (Delicious fresh brioche loaf = 50p)
    -Have 'bring a course' dinner parties where everyone contributes something, i.e, the pud or the starter
    -Use restaurant vouchers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family