Prescription costs in England to rise in April

Options
"NHS prescription prices in England will rise from 1 April, while dental costs will also increase, the Government says..."
Read the full story:

Prescription costs in England to rise in April

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "The Government adds that over 90% of prescription items are dispensed free."

Whoop-de-do. In other words, here's an even bigger two fingered salute to the rest of us!

They really should just make it 50p for those who currently get it for free, to try and cut down on people taking medicine just because it's 'free'.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 11 March 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options
    What if you need more than 1 item? This is really a take p**s
    Thankfully I get my medicine free now because I'm diabetic
    (14 items on my repeatanimated-smileys-shocked-019.gif ). But my children and DH have to pay full price on low wages and DS is a student.

As for dentistry costs I will only go if I am in agony now I can't afford to go every six months.

What angers me the most is that if we lived in Scotland, Wales or NI we would get it free and we wouldn't have to pay extortionate hospital car park charges :mad:
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • SmallL
    SmallL Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    Im glad prescription pre-payments are frozen for two years at least
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    90% free WOW

It annoys me that as an Asthmatic I dont get free scripts like diabetics do.

In fact I think it annoys me more that it is just an unfair system.

Either we all pay or we all get them free simples!!
  • SmallL
    SmallL Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    A fairer system would be to make the prescriptions for people with chronic conditions free (but only those medicines tied to the condition)
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If I had to pay I wouldn't take my tablets full stop as I couldn't afford to. I'm on conts based ESA and am prescribed four lots of medication but have a cancer patients exemption certificate. I know I could get a pre-payment certificate but that's still about £15 a month- I'm on regular paracetamol so I know I could buy that OTC but my Naproxen, Tramadol and Fluoxetine I would still have to buy which I just couldn't afford. To be honest I would rather do without my prescription certificate if I could get help with other NHS services- I have to pay for my own glasses and contact lenses, and my own wigs- all of which you get help with on income based but you get bog all on conts based :( they just seem to think you must have enough money to pay for them! My last glasses cost me £89 and my contacts £56 then £13 a month and my cheap synthetic wigs are £25 a time :(
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    90% free WOW

It annoys me that as an Asthmatic I dont get free scripts like diabetics do.

In fact I think it annoys me more that it is just an unfair system.

Either we all pay or we all get them free simples!!

I totally agree with you on that one I've been asthmatic since a kid, and inhaleurs are a lifeline, I'm diabetic as well, so that magically gives me all free, but I still think it is an unfair, unjust system. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    If I had to pay I wouldn't take my tablets full stop as I couldn't afford to. I'm on conts based ESA and am prescribed four lots of medication but have a cancer patients exemption certificate. I know I could get a pre-payment certificate but that's still about £15 a month- I'm on regular paracetamol so I know I could buy that OTC but my Naproxen, Tramadol and Fluoxetine I would still have to buy which I just couldn't afford. To be honest I would rather do without my prescription certificate if I could get help with other NHS services- I have to pay for my own glasses and contact lenses, and my own wigs- all of which you get help with on income based but you get bog all on conts based :( they just seem to think you must have enough money to pay for them! My last glasses cost me £89 and my contacts £56 then £13 a month and my cheap synthetic wigs are £25 a time :(

You are lucky, I have complex lenses and my last glasses cost £360 and it looks like I need new ones again this year, depending on what is said when I eventually see a consultant at the hospital
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Mobius1
    Mobius1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    What angers me the most is that if we lived in Scotland, Wales or NI we would get it free and we wouldn't have to pay extortionate hospital car park charges :mad:

This!

What's the point in them mentioning how tough decisions have been made to financially safeguard the NHS budget when it is the English NHS patient who's paying through the nose for it?

I don't understand the thinking behind it. Why should those in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales not only get free prescriptions but also not have to pay for parking at their hospitals? Surely placing that burden solely on the English is a form of discrimination when it is so overt and the difference is so marked? It's not like we're talking about a couple of quid or a one-off here, we're talking a constant cash flow from a lot of English people going to subsidise other nations. It isn't fair. Either we should all pay the same for prescriptions unless exempt, or none of us pay.

What extra tax do they pay? What benefit do we English get that they don't which could account for the disparity?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I live in Scotland and get free prescriptions which is good and I appreciate it as the cost in England is extortionate. However it's ridiculous to say that this is a subsidy as it's up to the individual countries how the money is spent and England has decided that free prescriptions are not the priority.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport