We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'Green-fingered tips for growing your own' Hunt Revisited

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 4 March 2014 at 2:22PM in Gardening
The Great 'Green-fingered tips for growing your own' Hunt Revisited

Are you a green-fingered guru? Share tips for growing fruit and veg cheaply in gardens, allotments or window boxes. What's best to grow? How much do you save?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scmp
    scmp Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I would say no matter what you decide to grow and your crop has been disease free... SAVE YOUR SEEDS! Over the years it will save you a fortune :)
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Courgettes are a great crop to grow! In one pot you could have a plant that is big, bold and produces oodles of courgettes all through the summer.

A planter filled with cut and come again salad also saves a fortune.

The most important thing though is to grow the things that you eat that cost the most to buy :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • jinger_2
    jinger_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I save empty loo rolls to sow my beans and peas into. I plant them still in their loo rolls to save disturbing their roots and are completely biodegradable. Have done this for tomatoes in the past too and planted them 'as is' in growbags.

If using growbags, at the end of the growing season, spread the used compost around the garden.

Even if you have a small garden, have a compost bin. Even one made out of reclaimed broken pallets will work brilliantly (instructions to make one can be found on the internet easily). You don't need to buy expensive compost activator stuff, just make sure you turn it over regularly with a fork and alternate layers of wet stuff like grass cuttings with ripped up old newspapers so you don't end up with a stinking sloppy mess. Mine's placed on soil so the worms can get in and work their magic too.
    In a world where everything is a copy, I remain an original
  • tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Loo rolls are good for parsnips, too, as long as you plant them out the instant a root is visible at the bottom.

It is useful to "chit" many seeds before planting out. For example, parsnip seeds become unviable very quickly, but if you fold them in damp cloth/paper in a plastic box, the viable ones put out short roots and should be quickly put into compost in loo rolls. It is amazing how many seeds in a batch never germinate, and how long some of them take to germinate compared to others.
  • Chucksmum
    Chucksmum Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a lot of flower pouches; I find the easiest way of inserting the plug plants into the holes is to use the mesh bags that garlic comes in. I cut off a length leaving the metal staple on the end (this helps to push through the hole) as the mesh is streatchy I pull it over the leaves and push it through the holes in the pouches from inside out, grasping the staple and pulling it through the hole leaving the root on the inside.
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I make a veg and tomato food/fertiliser from nettles. Totally free and full of the nitrogen which plants need, it's every bit as good as commercial tomato food which costs a fortune!

You just need some nettles, a watertight container (like a bucket) some water and a fairly heavy weight. Pick some nettles and crush them by scrunching up the stems (using gloves, obviously!) Place them in your container and put a heavy weight, like a brick or similar on top of the crushed stems.Then fill the container with water sufficient to cover the nettles and leave it to 'brew'

It tends to get rather smelly as it ferments so place as far away from the house as you can. After 3/4 weeks, strain the liquid and it is ready to use on your veg plants, especially tomatoes/peppers etc. The solid matter left behind from this can be incorporated into your compost heap.

The mixture must be diluted when using as it is very concentrated - I usually dilute around 1 part nettle liquid to 10 parts water.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I get as many empty pots as I can from garden centres- most of them have bins where people leave unwanted pots and you can just take them

I have 2 compost bins, one in the front garden and one in the back

Save your seeds in envelopes

Buy bits for next season at the end of the current one when the shops and websites have clearances

I had a huge glut of tomatoes last year (think 17 different plants!) and couldn't give them all away, so I roasted them up with some garlic and olive oil and blitzed them down into a sauce- I don't have to make any tomato sauce for pasta, chilli or pizza for about a year now, I just take a bag out of the freezer :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Beanette
    Options
    Raising plants from seed is usually cheapest but if you do want to buy veg plants, then try local Village Fetes first - or WI markets, school fetes, scout fundraisers, charity stalls on the high street - you get the picture. Look in the local papers to see when they're on. There are usually loads of them on in May and the plants are a fraction of the cost of those bought in shops. Only go to a garden centre as a last resort!
  • tangojulie
    Options
    Some plants root very easily from cuttings in a jar of water. Tomato and basil particularly. They can be difficult and/or time consuming to raise from seed, so if you only want (say) a few tomato plants your best bet may be to buy a single plant with lots of side shoots, snap them off and put them in a jar, and pot up the shoots when they've rooted. You can make a single pot of supermarket basil go on for ever this way.

And talking of supermarkets, you can make a huge instant lettuce patch from one box of growing salad. Much quicker and easier than growing from seed.
  • tds
    tds Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy growing salad all the time from the supermaket. How can I make a huge instant lettuce patch from one box? I spend a fortune on lettuce throughout the year so any savings would be good
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport