The Great 'summer getaways' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
Great 'summer getaways' Hunt

It's January, it's rainy, and many are feeling the pinch in their pockets and their waistlines. What better time to start thinking about a summer getaway? Whether it's bargain last-minute deals leaving next week or cheap summer destinations, we want to hear about 'em.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Go local! There are lots of lovely places in the UK, and no worrying about flight cancellations, removing shoes at airports or luggage allowances. We went to Margate last summer, it has fabulous golden beaches, lots for children to do, an amazing free art gallery the Turner Contemporary, interesting historical ruins (Roman, Saxon) nearby. We stayed in a self-catering high-rise flat on the beach right next door to Dreamland Amusement park which is going to re-open next year, and the flat was lovely, slept 7 comfortably at less than £15 each, the stunning sea views were free. Bargain! Kent is lovely, and so much cheaper than Cornwall.

Looking at bargain overseas holidays, they always seem cheap until you add up the extras, but if you go local, you know what things cost, can bring extra stuff from home with no weight restrictions to worry about, the local economy benefits, and best of all, you have a lovely relaxing time!
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The recent Post Office holiday costs survey findings were released a couple of weeks ago. According to the survey the Algarve was the cheapest place, for spending in resort. There's been some good flight deals to the Algarve with Ryanair for July and August too but accommodation can be a little more costly.

Greece and Cyprus has also come in as good value for money in resort. I'd say Greece is a good bet as flights and accomm can be found for reasonable prices. (We did Kos self catering in July/August last year, family of 3 for just under £1000 and spent around £700 when there on everything. Corfu the year before was around £900 for the fortnight). But Cyprus is costly to get there and costly for accomm too.

Outside the EU, Turkey is a good choice this year as the pound is quite strong against the lira so money will go far. Again flights can be costly but decent self catering properties can be found from £5 a night in places like Marmaris in July and August! Croatia was another good choice money wise, and lots of articles online seem to suggest this is the place to be in 2014.

More on the survey can be found here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/what-best-value-holiday-destination-3006062

Always worth taking it with a pinch of salt as often the prices they quote are way over what you pay in resort anyway if you shop around.
    Lea :confused:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    ... it's bargain last-minute deals leaving next week ...

Disappointing that it appears that MSE Debs hasn't done a bit of a forum search and hasn't read the posts detailing where posters wanted a last-minute bargain and there wasn't availability.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Go abroad. The UK is expensive (I took my lot away for a week AI to a 4 star hotel in the Canaries for what it would have cost for a weekend in London) and it rains a lot.

Always check Tripadvisor (or another independent site) reviews before you book; I've found great little places through their reviews.

Ask friends or family for recommendations for resorts, and then look at hotels - and if you have to go with a package agent, then look at a few of them, and try to book online (cash back / voucher codes) if you can.
  • karatewoman
    Options
    If you have a caravan or motorhome join the Caravan club and do rallies. We have great fun every weekend. We also do holiday rallies. Most weekends are between £20 and £25 quid and as we use village halls we can take our own booze and nibbles. For you money you usually get your pitch, entertainment and even supper sometimes. You get to know lots of people who become great friends and regardless of which centre you belong to you can attend any rally in the country. Eg we stayed in the Centre of Southport and watched the musical firework championships over three nights for less then £30 all in. That included pitch, tea, coffees etc and the fireworks. Bargain. You can join any centre for free but you must be a member of the Caravan Club first approx £42 per year. There are lots of different rallies for people of all ages and we stay in some beautiful parts of the country.
  • Bambi19
    Bambi19 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spain and Portugal are always good - I've read somewhere that they've offered the best value for money on everyday holiday items (e.g. food, sun cream etc) for the last two years - not sure about 2014 yet though. A holiday in either destination has always offered me great weather, great beaches and a nice family holiday.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Booked Crete yesterday.Roll on July.
  • SJ_Jones
    SJ_Jones Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I live in London. I am having a holiday in London this year. I'm taking a week off for my 'holiday' and will be visiting lots of places I haven't got round to seeing in the 8 years I've lived here. I will also be going to some of the restaurants that have been on my 'to-do' list for an age.
  • Bambi19
    Bambi19 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds brilliant! I moved out of London in 2012, and now when ever I go back up I appreciate it so much more. Over Christmas we took a friend up to London and we walked for hours from Covent Garden to South Bank to Oxford Street. Have a great holiday :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure