🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Real-life MMD: Should I share holiday disaster news story money?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 14 January 2014 at 5:27PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share holiday disaster news story money?

Three friends and I had a holiday disaster about six years ago. A journalist friend of mine is now paying me to use the experience for a story. I'm doing all the legwork for it, but I'm using the photos my friends took. As I'm doing all the work and they would never have bothered to sell it, should I keep the money, share all or part of it or make a small contribution towards our next holiday?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• mgush5
    mgush5 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Technically as you are using photographs that others took then they could make a complaint about you and sue, this is highly unlikely to happen but if I were you I would offer something to your friends, be it taking them out for a meal with the money you are getting from this story or buying them something holiday based like new suitcases (depending on how much you are getting) or even paying for the holiday insurance of your next trip. You are profiting from the work of others - even if it is just taking photos - a token gesture is a good thing to do n this situation
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    In what way are you using the photos your friend took? Using them as a personal reference?

Either way, your friend shared the experience of the crappy holiday with you, so you should share the money with them too. The split is down to you to decide, but to keep it all to yourself seems a bit off.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Legally the photos belong to the person who took them so aren't yours to sell to any publication.

Have you told your friend you are selling their pictures (or the story itself for that matter)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure a trained journalist will be fully aware of the laws on copyright regarding the photographs.
    Other than that you are free to recount your experiences without reference to your friends.
    Although they may not be your friends if they find out what you have done. It's your call
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    They are your friends photos you should talk to them and offer them something.
  • rachiibell
    Options
    I think it would be a nice gesture to at least take them out for a meal and drinks and you could laugh about that terrible holiday!
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    By using the photos, you mean submitting them for publication? The journalist who is working with you on the story (or some other representative of the publication) will ask about the photos in that case, so unless you either obtain permission yourself or lie, the publication will want the contact details of the copyright owners to get the appropriate permission. I imagine your friends might be surprised if this request came out of the blue! Have you discussed it with them yet? If not, I would advise doing so very soon and offering them something (maybe treat them to a meal out or something if money would cause awkwardness) for the use of their photos.
  • silkcutblue
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I'm sure a trained journalist will be fully aware of the laws on copyright regarding the photographs.
    Other than that you are free to recount your experiences without reference to your friends.
    Although they may not be your friends if they find out what you have done. It's your call

Ditto. Couldn't have put it better myself.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your friends 'took the photos' - how do you come to have the photos? You will need written permission from your friends to use the photos - see comments above regarding copyright & ownership. Also depends who else is in the photos, you might need their permission too.

Askng their permission is a good opportunity to discuss what you'll be using the photos for - and to let your friends know it'll be in print, and maybe on the internet. I wouldn't offer money straight off, I'd see what your friends suggest.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would give my friend who supplied the photos some of the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport