🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Anyone else get a pm asking to change their MSE password?

Options
Blulu
Blulu Posts: 7,669 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
I just got a PM and it's a little strange, so I would be grateful for an opinion or three?

It's from an MSE official but the pm is dated 01-01-1970. It's saying that as part of the forum resign I need to change my password, with a clicky link to where to do this.

It shows the official green badge so that makes it look genuine, but it's such a strange request - how/why would MSE know about what password I have used, and why would my changing that help them? Also the fact that the date is ancient makes me doubt.

Whadyafink guys?

Blu X
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apology
THIS IS ME!

Comments

• chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Blulu wrote: »
    I just got a PM and it's a little strange, so I would be grateful for an opinion or three?

It's from an MSE official but the pm is dated 01-01-1970. It's saying that as part of the forum resign I need to change my password, with a clicky link to where to do this.

It shows the official green badge so that makes it look genuine, but it's such a strange request - how/why would MSE know about what password I have used, and why would my changing that help them? Also the fact that the date is ancient makes me doubt.

Whadyafink guys?

Blu X
    I got this too was just about to post the same question
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • milla
    milla Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had it too
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've not had one but if I had I'd ask in

Site Feedback

one there already...

Dodgy looking PM dated 1970 regarding password changes.
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Blulu
    Options
    fire**fly wrote: »
    I've noyt had one but if I had I'd ask in

Site Feedback

one there already...

Dodgy looking PM dated 1970 regarding password changes.

Thanks hun, brill suggestion as always :)

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • fire**fly
    Options
    Thanks hun, brill suggestion as always :)

Blu X

just hope they reply asap & no-one replies to it before the team can sort it x
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Blulu
    Options
    I've also messaged MSE Helen about it, and forwarded her my pm. Only because she was the first greenlighted one I could find. Hope MSE hasn't been hacked :eek:

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • fire**fly
    Options

• fire**fly
    Options
    I've also messaged MSE Helen about it, and forwarded her my pm. Only because she was the first greenlighted one I could find. Hope MSE hasn't been hacked :eek:

Blu X

always better to be safe than sorry :A xx

• Former_MSE_Ian
    Options
    Hi all,

The security of your account is importnat to us here at MSE. I can't say this clearly enough. These PMs are merely precautionary. But while some of you already have decent passwords we want you to have really good ones :). So we would really appreciate it if you could follow the instructions in the PM.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills