We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'what's in your shopping arsenal' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 7 January 2014 at 7:16PM in Shop but don't drop
Great 'what's in your shopping arsenal' Hunt

Bargain hunters - we want to know what equipment you take with you shopping. From your own carrier bags to calculators, or even sarnies. We're tapping MoneySavers' collective knowledge to find out what's in your shopping arsenal.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts and check out our Supermarket Shopping Tips guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Former_MSE_Debs
    Options
    Since moving flat, I don't go anywhere without a tape measure, just in case some bargain furniture crops up!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wear a pair of comfy shoes, take a drink and snack if you are going to be walking around shops for a long time.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When shopping for children's clothes, a babysitter is the best investment you'll ever make. Tape measure the little dears first, hand them over & run... Clutching tape measure.
    Loads faster, more relaxing, more likely to fit 1st time, less argument...
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When clothes shopping I wear flats but carry the shoes I'll be wearing with the garment so I can see how the outfit looks without getting sore feet.

When the children were young I always had a list of their current sizes / measurements: so, another vote for the tape measure!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • max2002ad
    max2002ad Posts: 303 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    My essentials are reusable shopping bags, mobile phone for on the spot comparisons and of course a zip bag with coupons and vouchers in.
    Then I buy everything possible with a cashback credit card which I have two in my wallet.
    My Motto in Life:

Make Every Penny Count !!!!
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My iPad, slippers and a cup of coffee.

Always have a look online before I go clothes/Homeware shopping to read any reviews. :D
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    Most important for me is a list - how often have I gone shopping and remembered something important after I've got home. Also if you're looking for something to fit into a specific space, note the measurements on the list.

If you are thinking of trying on clothes/shoes, wear something appropriate to what you're looking for, e.g. it can be difficult to judge a skirt if you have flat shoes and socks on (although if you're doing a lot of walking, the heels and tights may be better carried around in a bag!); wear a neutral coloured bra if you'll be trying on tops, etc.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    For an actual physical shopping trip (as opposed to online) I always take a small bottle of water to stave off the dehydration headache, saves time (don't have to stop to buy a drink) and money (tap water!).

Also: enough change to pay for parking.
    [
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Gosh, just looked in my shopping bag and here is my list of useful things

Paper and pen
    comb
    scissors
    coupons
    tape measure
    pck. polo mints
    pck. paper hankies
    sani pads in the little pocket
    Safe (purse) cash, card and free cards for points.
    Bag for life and x2 carrier bags

Pick up mobile phone on way out the door.
    In hot weather a bottle of water
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • MotheroftheKid
    Options
    A man to carry my bags!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business