The Great ' Which companies class adults as younger than 18?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And countless food outlets don't let you have a child's meal if your child is over 11.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't really see the problem. If a child is takes up the same space and eats as much as an adult, surely they should pay the same.

Maybe they should discriminate based on physical volume and appetite.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    And countless food outlets don't let you have a child's meal if your child is over 11.

I think restaurants should simply do small portions of some dishes and make them available to anyone who wants one. They don't have to do some silly children's menu (i.e. food shaped like animals), just give you less. I'd go for this. Restaurant portions can be huge, it's hardly helping with our obesity crisis, I don't like wastage plus why should I pay for more than I can eat?

Restricting smaller portions to a particular age group is penny-pinching and something you see more of in lower end chains, IME, where profits are more important than customer service.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    I can't really see the problem. If a child is takes up the same space and eats as much as an adult, surely they should pay the same.

Maybe they should discriminate based on physical volume and appetite.

I'm sure you know this and were just making a point but I think it is more about the fact that children don't earn money. It is the same as having a cheaper price for students and OAPs. They don't take up less room/eat less etc either.
  • sophel1a
    Options
    We went to the "sea life centre" in Newquay they charge adult price for over 12!!
    So, no food or seating involved. Rip Off.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    Although slightly off the main topic I would like to add that;

My local Tesco would not accept a Service ID of a serving soldier as proof of age when buying alcohol! (ID has date of birth on it) They said it wasn't a recognised form of identification!!

My local Odeon Cinema would not let one of my offspring in to see a film rated 16 when they were 18. Fair enough in that they didn't have proof of age on them but as I was accompanying them to see the film, I would have thought that my word should of been enough!
    As a matter of principle I did return the next say with a passport just to prove a point to them and they did issue complimentary tickets (didn't use them-have never been back!!)
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    Children over 12 pay adult prices at Alton Towers and in other Merlin attractions, Children over 15 must pay Adult prices. I think this is outrageous and there should be a law against it.

I don't think that one's really unfair - a 15 year old will be tall enough to go on all the same rides as an adult, and probably a 12 year old too. Maybe they should do it by height rather than age though!
  • 2childmum
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Most cinemas have a child (12 and under) price, a teen price (13-17) then adult price.

The last time we went to the cinema we had to pay adult price for our 15 year old. They did have a student price but we had to prove he was a student, which we couldn't do as he can't buy an NUS card until he is in the sixth form or at college ( plus it costs money to buy in the first place) This isn't the first time we have come across this problem, but some places accept that a 15 year old has to be at school so therefore must be a student.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • Felicity
    Felicity Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely this all boils down to supply and demand. Companies (for profit ones) are responsible to shareholders primarily and charge what they will to maximise their profit.

They accept that by charging more, they may attract fewer visitors. By charging less, they will have more visitors than they can cope with (and thus could have charged more).

From a consumers point of view the answer is simple ... if the goods / services are worth to you what they are charging, pay. If not, dont go.

But certainly dont pay and then complain.

In many instances, such as an airline, unless the 'child' is sitting on an adults knee, they are taking the place of a full paying adult.
  • HalfPint
    Options
    There are many camp sites that consider 12+ to be adults and charge accordingly. We avoid them like the plague as having 4 children (aged 16, 15, 12 and 7) it would cost too much!

HP x
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure